Notices

First aa

Old 09-23-2013, 03:17 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Here is what you should expect:

Your First AA Meeting<
Old 09-23-2013, 03:54 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Doogie and Sean way to go! I just went to my first today too. Also glad I did. I had been years ago but only because the court said I had to not because I chose to. Another step in the right direction for us all. And for those that are nervous, everything said here is right on. I was nervous before when I had to go and I was nervous this time too. But I think less so because I chose it. Next time will b a little easier.
Old 09-23-2013, 07:03 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Location: Probably my living room. Maybe my bedroom if I'm feeling lazy
I'll admit that sometimes I still get nervous walking into a meeting I've never been to before, but once I sit down and see the smiling faces, I know I'll be safe and welcomed.

It's really the job of the group to welcome those that are new, scared and nervous. If you don't find that in a meeting you attend, try a different one. Some are better than others.

Tonight I went to a beginners meeting (I feel it's good to be among those still suffering to remind myself where I've been and to help those who will accept it). There was a guy who was at his first meeting. It took him until 1 minute left to raise his hand and introduce himself. He said how scared and nervous he was. But also how he didn't want to suffer any more. The group embraced him with smiles and warmth. He instantly relaxed. It was really great to see.

This isn't even my home group, but I was proud.
Old 09-23-2013, 07:24 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I was terrified going to my first AA meeting. I still get nervous sometimes even after 3 months. It gets easier if you just keep going. Some people say they feel immediately at home when they go to their first meeting. That wasn't the case for me - but I'm really glad I pushed through those fears.
Old 09-23-2013, 09:52 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Smile

Originally Posted by Doogie92 View Post
I just went to my first aa meeting. It was a lot better than I expected and am hopeful that aa can help me stay sober this time. I really want to be sober, I just have a hard time staying sober, and I really hope this is the thing that can help.
Hi Doggie,
I've been attending AA meetings on a very regular basis. For myself, listening is a necessity in my recovery. I also attend Big Book Study once a week. Reading the BB on my own...how do you spell confused?!! Do you have a buddy/gal (in your meeting) you could meet up with before or after? Have you volunteered to be of service at your meeting? Get a commitment ...make coffee, be the chip person, greeter, etc etc. These are just some practical ways I can think of to keep you ACTIVE in your Recovery. I'm only 10 months, but these suggestions are just a few things I do. All the best, :-D. Bobbi
Old 09-23-2013, 10:05 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Doggie, after reading my post I came on pretty strong. I really didn't mean to be so gung-ho, you've only been to one meeting. From my personal experience, I find AA fellowship has a huge impact on me. I, too, am shy, but I will say that in other social settings I find myself extending my hand and saying hello. I also look people in the eyes now, and I listen too! I'm amazed at me....