Notices

Quitting Drinking - Day 1

Old 09-23-2013, 09:21 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I haven't had to much of hard time today.. I started getting the shakes around 5PM but it actually benefited me as I had boxing at 7PM and was able to use it to take out all my stress on the bags and sparring. The problem is I can't sleep and starting to crave a drink again. I laid in bed for 2 hours twist and turned now imma watch a movie. I made a ice water and used a lime to pretend its a vodka tonic which kinda of helped me mentally. But I just can't sleep any suggestions? And does this happen to everyone? If so how long? Can I take Tylenol PM or just train myself to sleep again? I've been so used to drinking till I pass out for over 8 years everyday I am legit laying there trying to figure out how to fall asleep. I've counted down from 300 3 times and that didn't work. Tried to microwave milk because I am so pathetic I had to google "how to fall asleep" and gave those suggestions nothing working
Old 09-23-2013, 09:24 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Insomnia is very common in early recovery. Don't worry about it. The is an insomnia forum here as well.
Old 09-23-2013, 11:27 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Taking5 View Post
Insomnia is very common in early recovery. Don't worry about it. The is an insomnia forum here as well.
Yeah man I mean it doesn't really matter much to me now because I lost my job but this **** sucks. Do people use sleep medicine to fall asleep, I might smoke some weed before bed tomorrow to knock me out but not sure if that's a no no when trying to recover. Never been addicted to that **** haven't smoked in 6 months
Old 09-23-2013, 11:48 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Hi,
I am on Day one too, I lost the count on how many times Iīve tried.
But I have thought a lot about how to explain to strangers why I donīt drink and I think the perfect excuse is to "blame" it on excersise. I have set up a goal that I will participate in a running competetion next year, and everybody knows alcohol is not good if you want to get in shape. Also someone here gave me the simple advise to say that I donīt feel good if I drink. I donīt think people will react as much as you think. During my sober periods I never found this to be a problem. And the people who know me just thought it was good I didnīt drink...
Best of luck to you!!
Old 09-24-2013, 12:06 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Victoria74 View Post
Hi,
I am on Day one too, I lost the count on how many times Iīve tried.
But I have thought a lot about how to explain to strangers why I donīt drink and I think the perfect excuse is to "blame" it on excersise. I have set up a goal that I will participate in a running competetion next year, and everybody knows alcohol is not good if you want to get in shape. Also someone here gave me the simple advise to say that I donīt feel good if I drink. I donīt think people will react as much as you think. During my sober periods I never found this to be a problem. And the people who know me just thought it was good I didnīt drink...
Best of luck to you!!
Hi Victoria!
I never cared what people think of me which may be part of problem haha but explaining I'm a raging alcoholic is kinda a diff animal to me. That running competition seems like a great idea to keep busy and I will def do that as well! Need all the exercise i need after this depressing weight gain! Good luck with your journey as well!!!! Lets make it day 2 Tom!
Old 09-26-2013, 05:58 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

On my 4th day and I already relapsed. I just suck first 3 days were an absolute breeze, then as soon as football came on I made an absolute monster made a $1k bet on Rams. +3 and now pounding alone in room. I just don't think It's possible to quit drinking as I'm a season ticket holder for patriots drink and tailgate every home game and drink and bet every game. I couldn't even make it past 4 days just absolutely terrible I hate what I've become hopefully Rams cover so the hangover won't be to bad.
Old 09-26-2013, 06:01 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Administrator

Marty lots of folks here watch football and don't drink.
You can do that too - but only if you're prepared to make changes.

what about finding more support for your addictions?

D