Notices

Quitting smoking.

Old 09-23-2013, 08:22 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Quitting smoking.

Alright. I've gone a few weeks without drinking and I'm ready to bite the second bullet- smoking. Before drinking I was a bit of a fitness freak and after taking up jogging and swimming since I quit drinking I've decided I want to feel healthy like I used too.

Plus, you know, I don't want to get cancer. My dad got throat cancer (made a full recovery) but seeing him in that state was terrifying.

Anyone else done the double? Smoking and drinking?
Old 09-23-2013, 08:29 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I did it in reverse order. Quit smoking the first of the year, which was my number one priority. I realized that there's no way I could keep my quit and continue drinking, as the crave to smoke was intensified exponentially if I drank. Now have 9+ months free of both addictions. Drink lots of water and get regular exercise. Smoking had become such a taboo now, it's like reverse peer pressure from when i was in high school, where it definitely is "uncool" now to smoke. Good luck.

Brian
Old 09-23-2013, 08:47 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm not quite ready to quit smoking, MrBen, but it's on my radar for the next month or so. Please post about your experiences and I'll jump in to support you! And I'll share when I stop smoking, too.

I'm on Day 21 of no drinks. I am triggered by anger and there's a lot of anger bubbling up at random times. I don't want to quit smoking just yet because of how irritable I get. I want to work on smashing my AV a bit more in regards to anger and drinking before I do anything which has proven to make me angrier in the past.

That's all I have for now. I wish you the best. Smoking is gross.
Old 09-23-2013, 08:58 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Ben although I am new to recovery, I have been smoke free for over 3 years after nearly 20....You wont believe this, I did by reading a book- that has helped millions. And the book actually wants you to smoke while reading it.....strange. But worked. Don't ask me how..but yes you can do the double threat!
Old 09-23-2013, 09:34 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Location: Probably my living room. Maybe my bedroom if I'm feeling lazy
I quit smoking back in July with the use of an e-cig. I'm still using it but I am slowly stepping down my nicotine level. It really has been a life saver for me. No more coughing up green crap in the morning. I can taste and smell things again. My lung function has improved dramatically.

Now I just breath in water vapor, some natural flavoring, and a bit of nicotine to calm the cravings.
Old 09-23-2013, 09:43 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I think Dee mod did mrben, good luck x
Old 09-23-2013, 09:58 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I too ditched the cigarettes first. Now I only get the urge to smoke when I've been on a drinking binge - Read: blindingly drunk - and then it's still one at the end of said session.

The thought of smoking sober makes me want to gag now to be honest, the taste is disgusting! I say this as somebody who used to smoke sober and a ridiculous amount when drinking.

I stopped smoking at work during breaks, then at home and before I knew it the urge was gone. For a time I did buy them when I was going out but I quickly realised I was just giving them away and then finding the rest in my jacket the next time I went to wear it - i.e., throwing money away.

I think once you and get to a certain point without smoking the next time you do that "Ahhhh" feeling you got has gone and has been replaced with a "Yuck, my mouth tastes like xxxx" one.

I read the first few chapters of Allen Carr's book which has helped a lot of people I know.

Good luck!