Notices

Just started and already failed

Old 09-23-2013, 08:07 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy Just started and already failed

I have accepted that i have a problem and no longer wish to drink. I hate what it has done to me. I also have a liver problem going on and have been advised to STOP drinking right away! im now working with a councilor to stay clean. I got 5 days clean and slipped! . Any suggestions ? should i give AA a try?
Old 09-23-2013, 08:12 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

This is not an easy road. I think that "slipping" can be a part of it. The point is that you continue to try. If you think that AA will help, then please go to AA. It is a program that has helped millions.
Old 09-23-2013, 08:26 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Welcome to Sober Recovery.

Originally Posted by zoomi View Post
I also have a liver problem going on and have been advised to STOP drinking right away! im now working with a councilor to stay clean. I got 5 days clean and slipped! . Any suggestions ? should i give AA a try?
It's your liver...what are you willing to do for it?
Old 09-23-2013, 08:37 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Thumbs up

Welcome to SR!

Five days is awesome! Taking a drink means your addiction still has enough on the table that alcohol still works as an option for you. So you're posting, and that means to me you want better then what you already have - again awesome.

For sure AA works. It may or may not work for you. Even with AA or whatever, quitting is always on the menu no matter the recipe, so if you have an open-mindedness to quitting, you'll be at your best to decide what works for YOU.
Old 09-23-2013, 08:39 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Zommi, you didn't fail you are still here and being honest. Here is the tricky part to our recoveries I am learning. Mother nature is a double edge sword. She is quick to make us stop when are bodies get sick, but also provides you and I a gift of getting better! Sometimes once we recover and feel normal, we forget our torment sometimes and right back we go (the relapse)......If you like to read, there was a book that changed my perception of the drink entirely. No it is not blue either. But made perfect sense to me. It is not medical advise but I will help you any way I can! Stay here.
Old 09-23-2013, 08:40 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I want to tell zoomi good luck you are in good company here and AA helped me!
The obsession fades with constant effort
Old 09-23-2013, 08:43 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I am of the mindset to try anything and everything. You just never know what will stick. Just don't give up! Five days is great. This is only the beginning. It won't be easy.

I saw this clip from Craig Ferguson recently and it helped me to recognize my thoughts/obsessions/urges as an illusion–"It's a thinking problem, not a drinking problem." Give it a watch :-)

Craig Ferguson Talks About Life As A Recovering Alcoholic - YouTube

And check in here often :-)
Old 09-23-2013, 08:58 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks guys ! I let my guard down yesterday and slipped but I'm going to keep fighting it. I have one question after some time sober will it be easier to ignore that voice that keeps trying to make you drink? As time passes do we learn to control urges better?
Old 09-23-2013, 09:06 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Zoomi-

The key word here when you talk about learning to control urges is LEARNING.

Scour the SR threads for posts about AV. There are a ton of tools here to learn how to deal with the urges. It does get easier, but be prepared for one step forward, two steps back.

Don't get frustrated by having a couple great days then getting blind-sided by a truly awful day of cravings. It's ok and it's part of the process. Go in armed for battle through knowledge.

My best advice is over-read, over share, over prepare, but don't over think. If that makes sense. Practice makes perfect.

Hang in there with us. I don't do AA at this time but I've heard it's recommended to give it a whirl and if you don't like it, they will refund your misery! Makes me giggle! I think the point is to try on any positive port in a storm and see what works for you!

I wish you the best!
Old 09-23-2013, 09:13 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Time does play into it, but what really makes a difference is in being able to detach ourselves from the life we're leaving and embrace a sober life-style. We each have our own relative ideas of what letting go and embracing are in real life, and this is what makes the journey with us - how we adapt and change to more easily make sobriety work for us.

I've been sober now many years, and yeah, it gets easier to be sober for sure, and no one has to wait years for it to get easier - I didn't.

Sobriety got easier the more I detached and embraced in my everyday life, just like I was saying. In three months after quitting I was really making differences in my life that have lasted right up to this day today!

Yeah, it really does get easier!

Old 09-23-2013, 09:51 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Location: Probably my living room. Maybe my bedroom if I'm feeling lazy
Welcome, zoomi!

I say give AA a good honest try. Attend about 5-10 meetings with an open mind (different meetings so you can maybe find one you relate to) and then decide if it's right for you. You don't need to share, just listen and see if you relate. You will never know for sure if you don't give it a chance.

If it doesn't work, try something else for support. Alcoholism isn't the kind of thing we can tackle alone.

My liver was in shambles by the time I stopped drinking. It is okay now because I STOPPED DRINKING!

I wish you the best of luck. Stick around here for some great support and suggestions.
Old 09-23-2013, 09:54 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

to SR! Give AA a good try. It can't hurt.
Old 09-26-2013, 08:26 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

The Urge Abades

Originally Posted by zoomi View Post
Thanks guys ! I let my guard down yesterday and slipped but I'm going to keep fighting it. I have one question after some time sober will it be easier to ignore that voice that keeps trying to make you drink? As time passes do we learn to control urges better?
I call it my obsession for alcohol from page 15 of the 12&12. I have to work constant effort but "the urge" does abide. Keep up the good fight Zoomi 24 hours is all we've got! -SoberSubie
Old 09-27-2013, 02:57 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
~sb

Do a search on Urge Surfing.
Old 09-27-2013, 03:27 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

You have to get at least a couple weeks to get your head clear to make a "decision" to become sober. Until then - it's just "pondering".
Old 09-27-2013, 03:33 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberChristy View Post
I am of the mindset to try anything and everything. You just never know what will stick. Just don't give up! Five days is great. This is only the beginning. It won't be easy.

I saw this clip from Craig Ferguson recently and it helped me to recognize my thoughts/obsessions/urges as an illusion–"It's a thinking problem, not a drinking problem." Give it a watch :-)

Craig Ferguson Talks About Life As A Recovering Alcoholic - YouTube

And check in here often :-)

Love the video!