Notices

Sober Sunday Good Start Hard Finish

Old 09-22-2013, 08:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sober Sunday Good Start Hard Finish

Today has been a very eye opening productive day in many ways. The wife and I started the day off with a great conversation about what I'm going through. She is very supportive and I can't be happier that I have her. Our normal Sundays we would go to brunch and find a place that served brunch cocktails like momosias and bloody marys. This time we went to a local favorite that didn't serve alcohol. We had a great time and hashed out or issues. It was the first time I could remember in along time that we had such an understanding conversation with each other. After that we went grocery shopping for the week and cleaned the house. Normally when I clean I would have a twelve pack in the fridge and it would be gone before we were done. It was very hard doing this today my mind has been racing and doubting all night. This is my 4th night of sobriety and thus the hardest. The other 3 were a breeze compared to this. I can't tell if its withdrawal or just psychological but I'm very anixious tonight. When does withdrawal normally start taking effect? Is something I should be concerned about or am I just making myself paranoid? I've read all I could on the internet about this but it only scares me. What should I expect next? I think what is hard is I'm off on Mondays and this is my normal get trashed night and chill on the counch all Monday routine. I'll be by myself all day tomorrow and I'm scared but confident I can do it. I have to.
Old 09-22-2013, 08:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Stay by SR and reach out if you need help Curt

D
Old 09-22-2013, 08:25 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Curt, I felt really anxious too the first few days. I didn't know what to with my mind or myself without drinking. What is your plan for tomorrow when you're off all day? I'd try to get out of the house and wear myself out with errands or exercise. And, of course, stick close to SR
Old 09-22-2013, 08:26 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Curt I remember the 3rd or 4th night being very difficult but nights getting much better just after that. I had insomnia and anxiety, guilt, and cravings. Then I started sleeping way too much actually but felt like I was healing up
Old 09-22-2013, 08:32 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks Kadidee. SR is already relaxing me some. I plan to break out of the normal and wake up early on my day off. Walk the dogs extra long tomorrow. Mornings aren't bad for me at all its nights. Im used to getting off work and getting that twelve pack and sometimes a pint. Then I would wake up and feel like **** and tell myself not tonight but right after work I talk myself into it. I think this is what is going to make the nights hard especially once I return to work. It was almost like I rewarded myself for a hard days work.
Old 09-22-2013, 08:36 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Plenny View Post
Hi Curt I remember the 3rd or 4th night being very difficult but nights getting much better just after that. I had insomnia and anxiety, guilt, and cravings. Then I started sleeping way too much actually but felt like I was healing up
Thank you Plenny. Did you have the feeling like you were drunk but not? I have felt that way on and off today. Is that just because I don't remember what reality is or just a mental side effect?
Old 09-22-2013, 08:47 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Curt, after work, around 5 p.m. is something you can get through, and I promise it gets easier. Have you bought some replacement beverages? I found having something in my hand at all times (non-alcoholic) to be helpful.
Old 09-22-2013, 09:01 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kadidee View Post
Curt, after work, around 5 p.m. is something you can get through, and I promise it gets easier. Have you bought some replacement beverages? I found having something in my hand at all times (non-alcoholic) to be helpful.
I have I bought bottled root beers today and it gave me a since of holding a beer. I'm thinking of getting soda water to try a healthier route. The great thing is I don't have to run to the rest room as often lol. Thank you.
Old 09-22-2013, 09:08 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Curt0284 View Post

Thank you Plenny. Did you have the feeling like you were drunk but not? I have felt that way on and off today. Is that just because I don't remember what reality is or just a mental side effect?
Well I definitely felt fuzzy, slow, even slurred sometimes in the beginning. This happened at weird times too, even a few weeks in. I sometimes felt numb and unable to remember things. I searched for 20 minutes for an open can of diced tomatoes I was about to put in a soup, when I saw I had put it in the fridge absent-mindedly.
So if this is what you mean, yes. Oh it has been quite a ride and I've been quite antisocial because of that. But hey it's worth it and I sleep like a baby now and I've lost weight.
Old 09-22-2013, 09:09 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Curt0284 View Post

I have I bought bottled root beers today and it gave me a since of holding a beer. I'm thinking of getting soda water to try a healthier route. The great thing is I don't have to run to the rest room as often lol. Thank you.
My boss got me a soda stream it's my best friend!!
Old 09-23-2013, 12:10 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Funny you say about rewarding yourself after a hard day at work because I do exactly the same! In fact if I am doing a particularymessy or dirty job I can hear myself thinking "I really deserve a drink tonight because of what I am doing today". But when you think about it why would we reward ourselves by putting poison down our throats , give ourselves a pretty grim hangover, and in some probability cause an earlier death . It doesn't sound much of a reward does it!