Notices

Nervous...

Old 09-22-2013, 07:23 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Nervous...

Hello all,

I am almost a month sober (the 25th) and I am very proud of myself. I feel great, lots of energy and also sometimes tired but in a good way. I've def. been keeping my sugar cravings at bay the best I can but give myself some wiggle room to not feel bad if I indulge once in a while. I just got back visiting a friend in Denver, it was the 1st time (i've visited her about 8 times in 9 years she used to be from NYC) I wasn't drunk every day. Usually I sit around her place all day, cooking, drinking, watching movies. This time I went to the Zoo, and to a Wildlife Preserve, went to a shooting range for the 1st time in my life and jumped on the light rail and walked around down town Denver. It was fun.

Next week I have a wedding to go to and in October I'm off to TX to go to a cousins wedding and also have a fund raiser in October that will also have an open bar. Some people I have not seen will be there and I know they are going to be offering me drinks. The last time I went out I asked the bartender to give me club soda with cranberry juice, everyone assumed I was drinking a vodka cranberry and they left me alone...

I think I will be okay. The cousin I'm traveling with to TX knows my issues with booze and so does one of my cousins in TX, so I will be sitting with them. But it is a Greek Island mentality wedding, and they booze it up for these occasions. You'd have to see it to believe it.

Any suggestions of what I can do to alleviate the desire to join in or not feel funny not partaking?

Thanks
Old 09-22-2013, 07:27 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey GG, well done on one month, wow!

I spose its different for us all, but hopefully the month you will have will help keep you determined to protect your sobriety.... dont be too nervous, you are doing amazing xx
Old 09-22-2013, 01:43 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Can you take SR with you GG? Just check in every now and then to let us know how you're getting on so we can support you. It is tough sometimes early on but I always got a little buzz out of being able to come back here and say I survived!

Just remember that other people care very little whether we drink or not. As long as we don't interfere with their drinking all will be well Don't let that massive achievement of one months sobriety be thrown away for one lousy wedding. These things only last a day. Good luck and keep us updated x
Old 09-22-2013, 01:55 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Focus on how great you feel sober, and how crap you'd feel if you took a drink. Remember, that you want to try to experience a fun happy times sober, and in order to do that you might have to learn how to do it. To learn how to do it, you've got to try. If you don't try you'll never learn. Your trip will be a lesson. A lesson into how to have fun sober, and you might learn something. Wouldn't that be awesome
Old 09-22-2013, 01:59 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I get a glass of seven up, throw in a slice of lemon and when asked if I'd like a drink, I hold it up and say "I've had enough, thanks! Have one for me!" and leave it at that -- I also love virgin pina coladas but never drank them with alcohol, so they aren't a trigger.

Great accomplishment on your time, btw and glad to see you having some fun!
Old 09-22-2013, 02:00 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Velveteen Rabbit

Originally Posted by sicknote View Post
Focus on how great you feel sober, and how crap you'd feel if you took a drink. Remember, that you want to try to experience a fun happy times sober, and in order to do that you might have to learn how to do it. To learn how to do it, you've got to try. If you don't try you'll never learn. Your trip will be a lesson. A lesson into how to have fun sober, and you might learn something. Wouldn't that be awesome
Sicknote, thank you for this. It arrived at just the moment I needed it most. I'm planning a weekend getaway with my H.

welcome GreekGuy! A month is so amazing. Congrats!!