Notices

Suboxone-to be or not to be

Old 09-22-2013, 05:37 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Suboxone-to be or not to be

It's so weird for me to be writing strangers out there about something so personal, but here goes nothing!
So me and my life long partner started our addiction together, I mean doesn't every good LOVE start that way, lets go use together! We both were prescribed ALOT of pain killers for different reasons. So we were kinda thrown into a pit that we didn't even see coming! So for two years everything was fun, but with all addictions got progressively worse. Still don't know how our marriage made it through all that.
Then when I had enough I finally called the doctor and GET THIS....told them to CUT ME OFF....total suicide for a pill addict. Long story short, got on what I thought was a MIRACLE drug Suboxone!!! Yay, no more withdrawals and I thought I was feeling normal again. Dream come true right?
Here we are BOTH of us 5 years later STILL on Suboxone and Let me tell you if we go just a couple of days without it, we are in the SAME withdrawals as we were when we were back on pills. So we basically replaced one addiction for another.
I would love to get off after going through yucky withdrawals the past two days, I get my script filled tonight and I really would like a plan on how to cut down and get the HECK off for good. M
My hubby refuses to get off so this is going to be super tough on me. But I feel it is something I NEED to do.
ANY SUGGESTIONS. Thanks
Old 09-22-2013, 05:38 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
~sb

Talk honestly with your doctor and come up with a plan.
Old 09-22-2013, 07:28 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi, there is a Suboxone Forum under Substance Abuse here on the boards.

I would tell my doctor and come up with a tapering plan to help you comfortably come off the subs.

One question though. Why were you in withdrawal for two days before your prescription? Was the drug store out or are you taking more sometimes than prescribed?
Old 09-22-2013, 07:33 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Location: Probably my living room. Maybe my bedroom if I'm feeling lazy
Subs are meant as short term answer for withdrawal tapering (like 2 weeks tops). It is not meant as a long-term solution. From what I've heard from my recovering opiate friends, it it's sometimes harder to get off the subs than it is the pills. Honestly, and this is just my opinion, I think it's grossly irresponsible for a doctor to give you subs for 5 years!

Talk to a different doctor who specializes in addiction medicine so you can start tapering off.
Old 09-23-2013, 05:09 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Night owl

Hi Peechez, welcome to SR. Like fancy said, there are both Suboxone and Substance Abuse forums if you would like to post there as well.

As far as how long to take suboxone, I think that is a very personal decision for someone to make with their doctor, their counselor, their own inner wisdom, etc. For some two weeks is right for others it may be two years. The main thing is whether or not it is helping or hurting a person in her recovery.

Since you know that it is not working for you and feels like any other addiction I agree that working with your current or a new doctor to develop a tapering plan would be a good way to go. Suboxone has a long half-life and it must be tapered off of to avoid problems.

Keep posting and let us know how it goes for you.