Notices

I want to stop thinking about alcohol

Old 09-21-2013, 05:39 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I want to stop thinking about alcohol

The hours I spend thinking about alcohol or things Iīve done while drunk. I donīt want alcohol to take so much space in my life. Does it get better as the sober days add up?
Old 09-21-2013, 05:47 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I hope it gets better. I spend too much time thinking about alcohol too. I have found it helpful to try and redirect my thoughts to all of the positive changes that have occurred since I decided to stop drinking. Right now I am enjoying the sound of birds chirping outside my open window. I never appreciated that when I was dealing with a blistering hangover.
Old 09-21-2013, 05:54 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
quat

I sure hope so

I'm at almost two months, I do not 'want' to drink , but not drinking does seem to come up in my head a lot. I think it is normal , I spent a large portion of my time on earth either drinking, waiting to drink, regretting drinking, ect.
So my thoughts about alcohol are now way more positive and beneficial for my sanity, I just hope the focus 'melts' into the background. I think it will with passage of time, maybe like now I only 'think' about peeing when I have to
Old 09-21-2013, 05:57 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It has for me. Some days all I think about it all the time, I don't think there will ever be a time when it never bothers me again, but those times are getting further and further apart.
Old 09-21-2013, 06:22 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

It does take time, but the change will come.

Stay strong!
Old 09-21-2013, 06:26 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

((if)) alcoholic it all only gets worse if we keep drinking

Originally Posted by Victoria74 View Post
The hours I spend thinking about alcohol or things Iīve done while drunk. I donīt want alcohol to take so much space in my life. Does it get better as the sober days add up?
it get's much better with more sober time

thing is not to

go back to the drink and add more misery to our thoughts

((if)) alcoholic it all only gets worse if we keep drinking

Mountainman
Old 09-21-2013, 06:31 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

It gets better, over time. Until then, I suggest you do something to get out of your head. Volunteering somewhere would be my suggestion. Seeing how grateful other people are for the little bit of time you give might make you appreciate all you should be grateful for.
Old 09-21-2013, 06:59 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Carl makes a good point. Volunteering is a great way to do for your community and meet people too.

And yes, it does get better. After some sober time you won't even think of alcohol.
Old 09-21-2013, 07:29 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

It does get better: but Ive made it better by adding things into my life so there isn't a big nothingness gap with no alcohol.... life shifts and moves, I kinda wondered how I fitted it in now. Oh wait it was to the exclusion of everything else and living.
I stop myself thinking about it when I start .... its had enough free rent space in my mind
for long enough..... It is soooooo time to get busy living

good luck!
Old 09-21-2013, 07:36 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Location: Probably my living room. Maybe my bedroom if I'm feeling lazy
I don't the alcoholic will *ever* stop thinking about drinking. The difference that putting a good amount of days together is that those obsessive thoughts become merely passing thoughts. Like, "hey, I used to drink in this situation," or "I remember what that type of liquor tastes like." But they are just fleeting thoughts with no desire to act on it. My sponsor admitted to me he still thinks about drinking occasionally. And he has 8 years sober. It's just the thoughts don't consume him.
Old 09-21-2013, 07:43 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thinking about Alcohol leaves after a time of being sans free. Then thoughts can return, then they leave. Gift of time.
Old 09-21-2013, 07:46 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Victoria74 View Post
Hi Victoria....yes, it can be damn annoying, especially in the beginning. I made sure I had meals ready for when I got home from work, as this was typically when the first bottle would be opened. I made the ritual of cooking very important early in sobriety....but now things are much easier.

Drinking is so ingrained into our routine, even when we aren't drinking, we typically are looking forward to the drinking, so there's a lot of new ways of thinking we have to learn.

It does get easier/change as you find better ways to distract your mind.

Keep going!