Notices

Starting a new job today... in a bar.

Old 09-21-2013, 03:42 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Starting a new job today... in a bar.

I know, I know, it's not a very good idea, but I could use the money. I made it through yesterday and I don't really feel like it will be too tough, if anyone offers me a drink I'll just say I'm working.

In a way it could be helpful, I have friends who drink so getting used to people drinking around me should be a good thing.

Still, I have several hours before I go on shift, I'll have a long think about whether I can handle it and if not I'll call up and say I got a job elsewhere. I'm not about to fall short on my rent anytime soon, so it's not a really desperate situation.
Old 09-21-2013, 03:44 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Wow, you're braver than me Hope all goes well for you x
Old 09-21-2013, 05:15 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Work in Progress

The money is nice but I find it difficult and alcohol isn't even my drug of choice. I don't know what kind of scene you'll be working in but I get lots of regulars and some obviously have addiction issues and it weighs heavy on me serving them their drinks. In the spring I'm looking to get out of it. That's the thing, the money is nice. But it's not an easy environment to be in.
Old 09-21-2013, 05:16 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Good luck mrben, don't be afraid to walk away x
Old 09-21-2013, 05:22 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

that would be a challenge for me, good luck!
Old 09-21-2013, 05:27 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Was the brewmaster's job at the brewery already taken?
Old 09-21-2013, 05:29 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ornithology View Post
Was the brewmaster's job at the brewery already taken?
No, but I have to work up to that.
Old 09-21-2013, 05:33 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Well played, Ben. Please be careful.
Old 09-21-2013, 05:34 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

MrBen DANGER WILL ROBINSON!! Be careful, i'm not sure I could handle being in a bar that early in recovery. Stay strong!
Old 09-21-2013, 05:46 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

MrBen, Stay Strong...

For me, and based upon how I feel today, I think it would be helpful for me to actually observe people get drunk, stupid, and sloppy. I think it would reinforce my sobriety. And act as a reminder as to why I never want to go back to that...
Old 09-21-2013, 06:03 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

It's a trial shift, so just 4 hours. I'm sure I can make it through that, but if it's a struggle I'll just make my excuses and not go back.
Old 09-21-2013, 06:59 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Ben,

64 days sober here. I was hired for a job at a bar/restaurant on the same day I decided to try sobriety yet one more time. While I agree with everyone telling you to be cautious, I will say that it is very possible to work around alcohol and remain sober. It just took a complete understanding from me that just because those people can drink it doesn't mean that I can. Alcohol is for them, not me.

So far, I haven't had any issues at all with cravings or thoughts of drinking that have been caused by my job. In fact, it's funny how now I can almost immediately recognize if one of our customers has alcoholic tendencies--if they get antsy if their drink takes more than a half minute to get to them, if they order two to every one that other people at the table are drinking, etc.

And, of course, bars and restaurants also tend to attract alcoholic employees. You'll hear lots of scheming by your coworkers planning out how they're going to drink/party when their shift is over. And lots of moaning the next day about their hangovers. Once again, remember that's for them, not you. Don't let yourself get jealous--if you're truly an alcoholic, you've already done more than your fair share of drinking in days past. It's not your turn anymore.

If anyone asks you to drink there at work or to go out with them after work, I suggest keeping it simple. Just a "No thanks, I don't drink" instead of a long rationalization. It's nobody else's business that you're an alcoholic. That being said, I also wouldn't lie about reasons you don't drink. Like I said, just keep it simple. "I don't drink" is enough explanation and it's the truth.

Make sure you go into work on a full stomach. Stay hydrated. And if it just becomes too much for you, get the heck out and find a different job.
Old 09-21-2013, 07:06 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

It will definitely be a challenge but it sounds like you have a good plan going into it. Just make sure you remove yourself from the situation if the temptation gets too strong.

It worked for Sam Malone on Cheers, right?
Old 09-21-2013, 07:12 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I think you would be wise to make sure you are very much in the present with your feelings and state of mind when you are working. Also, have a full meal before. There are too many bar tenders in AA so be careful.
Old 09-21-2013, 07:23 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Location: Probably my living room. Maybe my bedroom if I'm feeling lazy
I couldn't do it. It's easy to walk by that liquor store or even go out to dinner where there is liquor because there will be none at my table. But I know that even after almost 6 months, if ohmmeter one put a drink in front of me and made me hold the glass, I don't think I would have the ability to say no. I am that powerless.

I do know bartenders in AA. Some people can actually handle it. But they bitch and complain at every meeting about the temptation.

Is this really your only option to make money? There is literally no other job you can do at this time?
Old 09-21-2013, 08:02 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I got a message through asking whether I wanted to be put on the bar or in the kitchen. So I'm working in the kitchen =) That's a weight off, I mean, I'll walk through a bar but won't be surrounded by it.
Old 09-21-2013, 08:14 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Great news mrben, you can eat as much as you want lol
Old 09-21-2013, 09:35 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hopefully they have some cake and ice cream you can take home!
Old 09-21-2013, 09:46 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I know that if I hang around the barber shop long enough I will eventually get a haircut.