Notices

That Evil Voice in My Head

Old 09-20-2013, 07:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

That Evil Voice in My Head

Sprinting along here post day 30 and surprised that there are no cravings this time. Even went grocery shopping tonite with no issue (late night alcohol buying was a habit). But with some reflection on the moderate success of staying sober comes a bit of confidence and with it...that evil voice that says "see, you can drink again and stop any time". It's like it lays in wait for this moment. I am trying to counter the false confidence sensation with the memories of some of the incredibly bad stuff I did when I was drinking. Like the time I cleaned out an ENTIRE bar in a hotel room and then replaced all the liquid in the bottles with tea and soda and water, etc. I must have drank $200 worth of mini-bar (there was nothing mini about it) and then cleverly recreated every color of liquid for every bottle. I poured old coffee into the wine bottle (screw top) and tea for bourbon and water for a 240ml of vodka. I used glue and wax to reseal everything...how pathetic. Perhaps many of us have stories that remind us we are powerless against booze and must therefore maintain complete abstinence.
Old 09-20-2013, 07:42 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tesla View Post
Perhaps many of us have stories that remind us we are powerless against booze and must therefore maintain complete abstinence.
Thanks for the reminder - yes, I do have stories that remind me of where I came from - and they do help to remind me of my powerlessness.

Like that time I went to the bar on Tuesday night, woke up the next day and went to work. The boss says "What are you doing here?"

"I'm here to start my shift", I say, "It's Wednesday. I work on Wednesday's."

"No, it's Friday. You missed your shift on Wednesday and Thursday. You don't work here anymore."

Yep, powerless - unmanageable --

"Alcoholism is cunning, baffling and powerful . . . and patient."