Notices

A question for my SR friends...

Old 09-20-2013, 04:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A question for my SR friends...

Hopefully I will be in a rehab soon. Scared but doing it.

The question is....I used to have a high tolerance for liquor. I've noticed over the last 6 months, or so, I don't have it anymore. I can't drink as much as I used to. I'm glad but the question is

Is this normal?
Old 09-20-2013, 05:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm not diagnosing you by any means but according to classification that is a symptom as the disease progresses.

I'm glad you're getting help raider. I really am rooting for you!
Old 09-20-2013, 05:04 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

Yup its typical in the later stages of alcoholism. All the best for you in rehab. I think its a good option for you.
Old 09-20-2013, 05:07 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Wow that's just about depressing news but I thank you so much. Not that I didn't know I am an addict.
Old 09-20-2013, 05:09 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

How is the plans for the rehab? Alaska I think you said?
Old 09-20-2013, 05:10 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I think its good that you are getting help by going to rehab Raider. Wishing you the best.
Old 09-20-2013, 05:17 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
I could see peace instead of this

I'm really happy for you that you're going for treatment. Stick it out no matter what. And yes, loss of tolerance is a classic symptom of later-stage alcoholism. I've seen too many people die of this disease.

You don't have to live that way anymore, Raider. I had to go on blind faith at first, even though really I thought life was over without alcohol. I stuck around long enough to find out that life really can be beautiful again. It can be that way for you, too.
Old 09-20-2013, 05:19 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I suffer from the same phenomenon, Raider. In the past 12 months, my tolerance reduced to less than half. I am not sure it was due to alcoholism as much as I was simply tapering down bit by bit. In the last 3 months before I finally stayed stopped, I still drank 2-3x a week but rarely got drunk.
Old 09-20-2013, 05:19 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

This has happened to me to. Wishing you the best and proud of you for making a tough decision.
Old 09-20-2013, 05:24 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Well after the call to the rehab, they have aftercare in Alaska. So I hope to detox in Seattle, then fly up to Alaska and be with my family. Told husband no drinking around me. I just can't have it around. May cause a failed marriage. I don't know.
Old 09-20-2013, 05:31 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope this works out for you, Raider.
Old 09-20-2013, 05:33 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I was the opposite, my tolerance grew and grew and grew and I could still function, albeit not well, but I never was hospitalized or anything like that. At some point I knew if I kept going I would have hit lethal levels and the autonomic functions of my body, breathing, etc, would have just stopped.

But, that's beside the point. I am encouraged to hear you making plans for detox and rehab. If a no alcohol around you rule causes a failed marriage it has already failed and\or your spouse also has the affliction.

I wish you the best.
Old 09-20-2013, 05:47 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi Raider,
Detox and rehab saved my life. It was exactly what I needed to make the change in my life.
I wish you all the best.
Old 09-20-2013, 06:00 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

For me, it took less and blackouts became inevitable. Oh yeah, and how much time drinking was actually "fun" (if you could even call it that) was next to nothing.

I'm glad that you're going to rehab.
Old 09-20-2013, 06:06 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

It s part of the progression of the disease
http://www.enterhealth.com/docs/jellinek_chart.pdf
http://www.aspireindiana.org/csat/Vo...ease_chart.pdf
Old 09-20-2013, 06:24 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Lady blue !! Yes blackouts happen quick. Thank you all. Love bunches!!!!
Old 09-20-2013, 07:26 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Raider View Post
Hopefully I will be in a rehab soon. Scared but doing it.

The question is....I used to have a high tolerance for liquor. I've noticed over the last 6 months, or so, I don't have it anymore. I can't drink as much as I used to. I'm glad but the question is

Is this normal?
Have you been to your doctor lately and had your liver checked? If not, I suggest seeing your doctor and having tests done. From what I understand, low alcohol tolerance for alcoholics can be a sign of liver damage. Google "alcohol tolerance".

This may not be the case in your situation; but it would be best to see your doctor.
Old 09-20-2013, 07:36 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

For me the amount to reach blackout was less and less. Seemed two to three vodka martinis and I was in blackout. However, during this time my tolerance grew. Once I drank 2L of vodka in a night combined with lots of other stuff (the drug would allow me to drink more than usual and not allow my body to naturally pass out - very dangerous for ODing). While I was typically immune to hangovers, on this particular occasion a year ago exactly, I was unable to keep food, water and detoxed quite hard until 9PM the next day with my last drink at 7AM and then started to drink again at 10PM to relieve the symptoms. That cycle continued for a month.

The point of my share is we are all different but the progression is what we share in common. Whether its 7L per week or two martinis till blast off the end result is the same for all of us.

When I first decided to quit a month ago, I thought I was a problem drinker but I was shocked at the physical addiction I went through during my first week.

Raider you are doing a brave thing and the most important thing you will ever do in your life - full stop. A month from now you will look back and be shocked at the progress - physically and mentally. Its time someone handed you the keys to get out of this prison.
Old 09-20-2013, 09:31 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Towards the end for me, I did not know if it would take two or ten drinks to knock me out.

I am glad you are going to rehab! It is a very brave thing to do!
Old 09-20-2013, 09:44 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I'm so glad to hear you have decided to make the decision to go to rehab. I'm pulling for you!