Notices

Day 5 and struggling

Old 09-20-2013, 04:30 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 5 and struggling

So last night I was chatting on skype to my GF, we are having a long distance relationship, which has an indefinite end at the moment, which makes things hard enough.... but last night chatting and she tells me she has been invited onto a merchant bankers 'clipper boat'. I looked it up and is one of those HUGE old boats with 12 sails and its own crew etc. She is working in the top of her field, gets flown all over the world, goes to restraunts with one year waiting lists, and has such an amazing life. Here I am, half a world away, and I will never be able to provide that lifestyle for her. We love each other more than I thought possible, and I tell her about my difficulties with alcohol and when I slip up, etc. But woke up this morning feeling miserable, and very inadequate, and immediately wanted to get horribly drunk and run away from my emotions. I won't, have chosen not to, but still feel horrible.

Fighting a hard battle today
Old 09-20-2013, 05:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi By day 5, you're over the worst of the withdrawals, please don't go and have to do it all again.
Your girlfriend, I'm assuming, knows your situation and if she loves you, it won't matter that you can't afford 'clipper boats' etc

Last edited by SkyeSea; 09-20-2013 at 05:25 PM. Reason: typo
Old 09-20-2013, 05:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi tryingagain

yep - if this relationship is the one, it won't matter a damn how much money you have or don't have.

I know it's difficult, but try not to worry - we can feed on our own insecurities - and definitely stay sober

D
Old 09-20-2013, 05:45 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

If she loves you she won't care if you can't provide her with a lifestyle of the rich and famous. However, I'm guessing she will care if you're still dealing with a drinking problem and end up down and out.

And believe it or not, many people who can take trips on merchant ships, fly all over the world and eat at restaurants with year long waiting lists also enjoy the simple things in life like dinner at home, going to the beach, taking in a movie or just spending time with their partner.

Work on being the best sober person you can be; the rest should take care of itself.