Notices

New to Site and Sobriety...and bored!!

Old 09-20-2013, 10:31 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New to Site and Sobriety...and bored!!

Hi, I am new to this site and would like to get acquainted. I just got home from 6 months of treatment and am looking for as much support as possible! I work an AA program, attend meetings, and am starting to build a new network in my home town. I'm coming up on 4 months sober on the 25th but struggling with some cravings since moving back home. I'm also very bored!! Any suggestions??
Old 09-20-2013, 10:38 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Daisy. How about doing some of the hobbies and activities, you did before drinking? I've started playing guitar again and sketching/painting.
Old 09-20-2013, 10:51 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
I could see peace instead of this

Welcome to SR!

It's a great start that you have your program, meetings and new people in your life. Stick around long enough and you won't stay bored at all.

I can't find enough time in the day to do everything I'd like to do. Hobbies, reading, working out, learning new things, learning how to do something new, helping others are places to start.
Old 09-20-2013, 12:47 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

to SR! There's a lot of support here.
Old 09-20-2013, 01:23 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Just riffing off your user name, how about a Fitzgerald film fest in your living room?

Anne Margaret Daniel: F. Scott Fitzgerald and Hollywood: Writing for the Movies, 1937-1940

Or, starting a Scott and Zelda book club (unless that would be a trigger...?).

Or, if you have money to travel sometime, starting learning a language for someplace you'd like to go? I'd like to learn Spanish and Portuguese to travel to Argentina and Brazil. Also Vietnamese to go to Vietnam. I don't have the money to travel, though, so I always lose steam. (Plus, I can't help it, but I really really love harsh languages...Swedish, Russian, German, Hebrew, etc. I just don't necessarily want to vacation in those places, nice though they are.)
Old 09-20-2013, 01:27 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Daisy

I found I was bored too, because I tended to do the same things I used to do when I was drinking - sitting on the couch doesn't really cut it anymore

There's some good suggestions here:
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ething-do.html

I found volunteering was great for me - got me out of the house and doing something meaningful

D
Old 09-20-2013, 01:30 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome, Daisy! And congrats on your 4 months of sobriety. As far as being bored, for me that is my enemy. I'm not sure what your interests are (most of us have lost all our hobbies while drinking), but to start and to combat the boredom, I would begin with spending a lot of time on these forums, commenting AND absorbing all the excellent information. Glad you're here.
Old 09-20-2013, 03:44 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I know exactly what you are talkin about! I was so used to constant drama and excitement in the drinking life that it really felt weird to not have that "adrenaline" pumping on a regular basis. Life felt really blah. Hobbies weren't cutting it either. Just didn't have the zest for life. It felt like being in the doldrums. I commented to someone at a meeting about this and my life had come into a balance that I was not familiar with. Maybe this is where you are at. I think I was around 4 months, too!
It has gotten better, I have had to discover what things I like to do all over again!
Old 09-20-2013, 03:46 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Glad to meet you Daisy. 4 months sober is wonderful. I'm happy you joined us.