Notices

Trying again

Old 09-20-2013, 07:49 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Trying again

Been inspired by lots of comments on here.tried over last five years or so to quit sometimes months at a time my record being six months!! Always seem to fall back into drinking though maybe take my eye off the ball. My sobriety day is Friday 13th thought this an appropriate date to try again so now on day eight and feeling good.my problem seems to be complacency just when I think I have it beaten i let myself down and the drink beats me.anyway I hope to post here daily to help me focus.thanks everyone for your inspiration . Don't let this thing beat you!
Old 09-20-2013, 07:51 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome Toffee1, Congrats on 8 days sober. There is lots of support here. Glad you have joined us.
Old 09-20-2013, 07:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

to SR! 8 days sober is a great start to a better life. Stay strong. You can do this.
Old 09-20-2013, 08:21 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Complacency has been my biggest obstacle too. With a week or so of sobriety under my belt, part of me said that I had proven the point. That I can stop if I need to. But that isn't really the point, is it? That I can stop if I need to. The point is that I NEED to stop. Forever. I don't know how to drink in moderation. I have read so many posts from people here who talk about "just having a few" after being sober for a period of time. EVERY ONE of them has ended up right back where they were before they quit drinking. Or worse. After the 100th or so time reading that, I finally figured it out. Yes, I proved "a" point. I can stop drinking if I need to. I am still trying to prove the bigger point, that I "need" to stop. Forever. That is how I have gotten past the complacency issue. So far, anyway. Well done to reach Day 8, Toffee. It is a huge accomplishment. Keep going. Good luck.
Old 09-20-2013, 08:22 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, day 8 is great! X
Old 09-20-2013, 08:29 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Sober since March 21, 2013

Eight days is GREAT Toffee1!

I will be at 6 months sober tomorrow, for the first time in years.

No program, no AA or anything. I just got so tired of waking up hungover and starting to drink again first thing in the morning (much praying - so Thanks to my Higher Power).

After six months much of the anxiety is beginning to fade. I tried moderation too many times in the past to risk it again.

I wish I had listened to my Higher Power 40 years ago.

Welcome to SR!
Old 09-20-2013, 09:00 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone for your thoughts.i know I can do this I just need to realise that not drinking should be the most important thing I accomplish every day. Everything else really comes second.