Notices

Newbie here--brief intro

Old 09-19-2013, 08:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Newbie here--brief intro

Howdy! I have been lurking here for awhile reading various posts and am very impressed with the camaraderie but at the same time so sad to see so many people struggling and in pain.

I don't really care to go into any boring details about my alcoholism...let's just say that I didn't hit rock bottom before quitting (but I was well on my way). I have been sober for a few months now and working the AA program. I've had no relapses and have absolutely no desire to drink (not even in moderation). My recovery has been a pretty smooth journey (so far) and for that I am so very grateful!

Today I started my 4th step and it has been enlightening to say the least. I have a long ways to go before I complete that step, but I'll just keep plugging away.

I probably will spend most of my time here in the 12 step forum, but will try to contribute to posts here as well because even though I haven't reached Step 11 or 12 yet, I feel by helping others during their tough times helps me as well!
Old 09-19-2013, 09:04 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Freebird

It's always great to have more folks around there to share their experience, strength and hope.

We sometimes say, "Welcome to the lifeboat--grab an oar!" You said you recovery has been smooth sailing so far--I think you will find plenty here who believe that constant rowing is necessary too.

Frequent posts on SoberRecovery give me a good attitude!
Old 09-19-2013, 09:20 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks Coldfusion! That's why I said "so far"...lol...I really haven't been "tested" yet and may run into obstacles a long the way. Who knows?

I am pretty much a dry drunk at this point--I still have a lot of issues to sort out.

I won't pretend to be "all-wise" about recovery because I am fairly new to the process, but I do hope to give a little insight, support and tips to those who are struggling in early recovery.
Old 09-20-2013, 03:59 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sober since March 21, 2013

Welcome Freebird. Congratulations on a few sober months!

I never hit "rock-bottom." (Bounced off of it many times).

I did learn after thousands of attempts that moderation never works for very long under any circumstances.

Although I have some friends in AA I am not a member and do not attend meetings (just my personal choice).

Glad you found SR!