Notices

After the cravings diminish...then what?

Old 09-22-2013, 02:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

After the cravings diminish...then what?

It's 44 days into this journey of sobriety from alcohol. The major cravings and daily urges to drink are beginning to subside and now other feelings and thoughts are emerging.

I'm starting to remember things that I'd long since forgotten. Flash memories from years ago. Good memories, bad memories, various random memories.

My therapist says it's a positive sign that my mind is recovering and adjusting to the change. My brain was accustomed to the booze, and even though I didn't drink every day, I binge drank enough to keep myself "happily" (sadly) impaired through the weeks and especially the weekends.

I'm working on ways to push-through when I do get the cravings for a drink. Learning how to cook is helping. The simple act of chopping vegetables and grilling various meat/fish have been a good, calming distraction from grabbing a drink.

Exercise is helping, too. When I was drinking heavily through the summer, I was also riding my bike a lot. It was getting to the point where the bike ride was becoming a major trigger to drink later. So, in these early days of sobriety, the bike riding has been exchanged for long sober walks with my dog. It's been great for both of us. Bike rides can be lonely endeavors while I'm finding more social enjoyment from walking the dog.

Thank you for allowing me to share these thoughts. Writing today was a way of attempting to articulate whatever the hell my mind is going through, lately.
Old 09-22-2013, 02:25 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

George, your writing makes me a happy camper, and my hunch is I'm not alone. So add me to the list of people (oh, and 4 legged creatures too!) that have benefited from your sobriety!
Old 09-22-2013, 03:53 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

One of my very favorite things to do is to walk my two dogs. It's good for all of us and always makes me feel better.
Old 09-22-2013, 05:53 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sober since March 21, 2013

Congratulations on 44 days George.

I've been having a lot of those flash memories. Have not been to a therapist. I thought it was a positive sign of recovery. Thanks for verifying.

I used to walk my dog while I was drunk (actualy she walked me).

We both enjoy her walks so much more with me sober.