Notices

Not doin good ...

Old 09-15-2013, 10:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Not doin good ...

Short. Simple. To the point ---

My 6 months is next sunday. Yet, ever since the end of July, beginning of August, I've just felt out-of-place. I'm just at the point where being sober sucks and I feel that I am non-existent. That others around me are genuinely happy and i'm.... Miserable. Period.

Even this morning, I was driving home from work; I live an hour away each direction. All I kept thinking was do it, just do it, you know you want to. I was thinking about just driving my truck off the road and hitting a concrete barrier. As soon as I said it out loud, I called myself a damn idiot however, I talked to my sponsor and she's the only one who cares ...

I'm really struggling ...
Old 09-15-2013, 10:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

You've drunk before and that has no answers, or else you wouldn't be here EndStage.

do you think you might be depressed?
have you considered seeing a Dr?

D
Old 09-15-2013, 10:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Dee is onto something EndStage. Feeling miserable and thoughts of suicide are indicative symptoms of depression. You really need to schedule an appointment with your doctor, ASAP.
Old 09-15-2013, 10:32 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I would see your GP and ask him what he thinks. In the mean time, drink lots of water, eat as healthy as you can and find a hobby to occupy your mind.
Old 09-15-2013, 10:39 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

EndStage, I'm sorry you're struggling. Six months is quite an accomplishment, so be proud of that.

If you're seriously contemplating driving off the road or harming yourself, please please call a suicide hotline or 911 ASAP.

Have you talked to a mental health professional? Maybe some medical help is in order.

Feeling low can be a normal emotion that were just not equipped to deal with sine we've used alcohol for so long to deal with feelings. But it may be something a doctor can help with as well, if what you're feeling is beyond just a normal low.

Keeping fighting this, don't give up, don't drink, don't give up on sobriety. You're in AA right? Good for you for talking to your sponsor. Do you have a phone list of others you can call? If people gave you thei number they want to be called. Don't be afraid to use that list!

I know it seems unfair that you've reached 6 months of sobriety and you're feeling crappy. How are you doing with the steps and all that? They do work.

But there may be more going on, so for sure see a dr. If you haven't already.

Keep posting, stay strong, don't give up on yourself. You sponsor isn't the only one who cares. Everyone at SR does too! You have lots of folks on your side here. Best of luck to you.
Old 09-15-2013, 10:50 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I am in AA. My homegroup is in my hometown and than I attend an AA group 5 minutes away from my work.
I have been working the steps; on step 4 actually.
I'm not going to do anything such as harming myself; suicide is a apart of my history YEARS ago, but never thought of it before until recently. Scary **** to even be reading this as I type it.
I have an appt with my Dr on the 17th. I just haven't been able to get into him before than due to no insurance until now.
And yes, there is more going on behind scene's, but I dont have time for hobbies. My schedule is pretty much this: Work third shifts 9pm-6am. Hours drive home. 715 sleep or actually lack thereof (Insomnia since I was a child), get up, go to meetings and than back to work. My days off are spent trying to catch up on the sleep that I could not get while working and than church, if I make it.
Old 09-15-2013, 11:44 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Endstage I am so sorry to hear of your pain. I have been to that hell. I remember a phase of my life where I kept wanting to drive off the highway on my way home from work. It was a terrifying and dark time. It doesn't sound like there is much balance or pleasure in your life (and drinking or not drinking has nothing to do with that). Alcohol will not help and it may just exacerbate your misery to the point that you do drive off that road. I am wondering about what is going on behind the scenes as that may have a lot more weight as to the reason for your misery and feelings of defeat.

When our mind is in the bowels of hell it is difficult to shake off. I wish I knew more about what was going on. Please know you are cared for in this world...on this website.
Old 09-15-2013, 11:55 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

It *is* the booze talking you know.. You don't have some existential need to be drunk. You actually know this because you quit. The reason? You felt like hell..or worse for all I know.

Drinking will not fix anything..except for perhaps the first 30 mins when you feel buzzed.
Old 09-16-2013, 03:39 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

As the others have said, if you have acute issues call a hotline or get professional help. For my own part I will offer just an opinion- it's not unusual or even unhealthy to have some self destructive fantasies once in awhile. If we're all being honest I doubt there's a single person here that hasn't had a fleeting thought of suicide at some point. No, not an impulse to do it- just a thought.

Suicide is not an effective coping strategy but when you're stressed it can look like one. But nothing will get better through that option, you just pass the pain to along to someone else to deal with.

I'm not sure what has you feeling low. Maybe you need to talk to someone about it.
Old 09-16-2013, 04:48 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Were those thoughts you really wanted to act on, or did they feel like they came from a different, alien, part of you? I ask because I've had periods of my life where I've battled "intrusive thoughts" and they are normal course for anxiety. Therapy REALLY helped to get that stuff out of me. It was scary...
Old 09-16-2013, 05:05 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

I wonder what other changes you've made in your life besides stopping drinking?

I really hope that you get past this difficult point.
Old 09-16-2013, 05:36 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

You do have people who care, everyone who reads your posts and honestly is pulling for you. That's why SR and people in recovery are so great. They WANT people to succeed. There is an excellent German word that has no equivalent in English: Schadenfreude. It means to derive pleasure from the misfortunes of others...happiness when your pretty cousin gains ten pounds, when your smarter than you co-worker makes a crucial mistake, when the talented child of your friend strikes out. It's a petty mean emotion that you find everywhere. But in recovery...not so much.

People here do care, feel genuine fear when a struggling friend speaks of suicide, even in passing. Sobriety is in every way better than addiction, but sometimes the lack of drama in our lives, which we had in abundance while making an a** of ourself drinking or using, begins to seem a bit dull. That's when we must begin to seriously take stock in our lives and count our blessings. Don't laugh...I'm serious. You do have blessings. You have a job, a car, a roof over your head, food and clothing, heat in the winter. Yes, these are pretty basic, but do you know how many people in this world don't have many, even none of these things? Develop some perspective, and add to the list I made. Write it out, read it every time these thoughts bring you down. No they probably won't make you feel instantly better, but gradually, you can change your outlook and stop concentrating on what you don't have.

You have people who care, and there are two solutions that will never make things better, ever: drinking and suicide. One leads to Hell on earth, the other to...Well, it depends on your faith, but to me, to give up this precious gift of life, leads straight to Hell, for real.
So, Endstage, shake it off. Things will change, your mood will lighten. Congratulations on your great accomplishment of sober time.
Old 09-16-2013, 05:50 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Quote " Hours drive home. 715 sleep or actually lack thereof (Insomnia since I was a child) "

Lack of sleep can be a serious cause of depression. As other SR friends have advised seeing a doctor seems to be very good option..
Old 09-16-2013, 06:06 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Endstage....good luck with your doctors appt. please be honest and talk to them about your suicidal thoughts. Feeding those kinds of thoughts just grows them into something very dangerous.

As others have said, we may not know each other, but we do care for those who are on the same journey. 6 months sober happened for a reason and you chose sobriety because you wanted a better life, right? Please try to hold onto that til you see your doctor.

Sending you hugs, mate.x
Old 09-16-2013, 07:47 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

Hugs.

I have experienced what you describe as well.

It's common when people are doing their 4th step, lots of feelings come up and it can seem overwhelming. This is why it is suggested that people don't linger on 4 but get it done and quickly do 5,6,7 and get relief.

It's also a part of PAWS, post acute withdrawal syndrome. We have the toxins out but the task of creating a sober life begins, and it IS a challenge and sometimes we feel defeated. Support from AA friends and SR friends, as well as any other support as needed can get us through. Take advantage of every resource to get the support you need.

It's normal and common to feel as you are, and normal and common to get to the "other side" as well. It's part of the process.

So glad you are here.
Old 09-16-2013, 08:14 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

How you doing today ES?
Old 09-16-2013, 11:18 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Hey ES ,
i had those exact thoughts years ago about 26 ... I think i suffer from quite a perverse brain sometimes and it likes to throw things at me once in a while .

Those kind of thoughts you can get a handle on , Dr's and some non addictive meds helped a bit . with time you can change the thoughts that go through your head, like a large ship at sea changes course bit by bit ..

For me, i did a lot of work on it , read everything i could . In the end i just kind of stepped right out of the depression , dropped it ? i'm not quite sure how to explain it .. i managed to break it .... only one other time did i consider it , but my humor and stunning sucess at being a failiure appealed to me .

So i thought i'd just be pleasant and laugh a lot , alcohol was part of that pleasantness untill i realized how nasty it made me , Living grows on you and i've become quite fond of it nowdays .

You can be happy and free as well,

Bestwishes, m
Old 09-16-2013, 11:22 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

End stage you can find something to change that will make you better. See the doc-find some way to take a break-change jobs closer to home! Talk to someone and keep talking-here is a good start, someone you can talk to and give you a hug would be great. Hang on in there:-)
Old 09-16-2013, 11:26 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Hi Endstage, I hope you go to the doctor. That level of depression is not normal. When drinking, certain chemicals in the body are increased. Seratonin and dopamine, briefly. The doctor can help you get these levels right. I'm very concerned about you. Please go check it out. Hugs.
Old 09-17-2013, 12:42 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Endstage , i empathise with your feelings of hopelessness and sadness , Your quote is one of the best i have ever seen.

THE MAN TAKES A DRINK
THE DRINK TAKES THE MAN!

So poignant , so true.

Please don't let it take you down again.

I enjoy reading your posts and the way you are always ready to help others
You are a lovely person from what I read between your lines

Im almost certain you have depression as 99.9% of us may do, hence the self medicating.
This too shall pass.

Please check in with us xx
Much love , looking 4 ward to more comments from you xx