Notices

Rash from drinking?

Old 09-19-2013, 11:45 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Rash from drinking?

Has anyone experienced this? I have had eczema my entire life, but when I started drinking heavily 2 years ago, red itchy patches started forming on my lower legs. I did drink last night (sigh, starting over again today) and I noticed the rashes got really itchy.

Just another reason to put down the bottle. My skin looks nasty!
Old 09-19-2013, 11:49 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Not saying for sure, but it could be psoriasis. I've had this for about 4 years now and I too use to drink heavily. Since I quit two months ago I've noticed a vast improvement. The large red/scaly spots on the shins of my legs aren't nearly as red and the scales are gone. Just a thought.
Old 09-19-2013, 12:03 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Sounds like you've noticed a correlation between the drinking and the rash.

Perhaps see how it does after being sober a while?

Ive had all sorts of things improve dramatically since I quit.
Old 09-19-2013, 12:07 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you so much, that's just what I needed to hear.
Old 09-19-2013, 12:10 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I used to get a rash on the back of my knees in the winter mostly, even more so when I was drinking. I don't know that the drinking was the 100% cause of it, but when I was drinking i was definitely more dehydrated and not taking care of my self as well as I should so it could certainly have been a contributing factor. Since I quit drinking it's gotten much better- my skin and complexion too. I did actually see a dermatologist about it and they concurred that quitting drinking could have helped, but there's no way to say 100% positively. I like to think it did though!
Old 09-19-2013, 12:21 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi, I had eczema since a baby then developed psoriasis in my teens.

As others here have said, drinking and dehydration can wreak havoc on the skin, more so for those of us with skin conditions. Just worsens the inflammatory process.
I too have noticed an improvement in my psoriasis into my third month, drinking lots of water, and generally being better a ble to take care of my skin since quitting alcohol.

I empathize with you, eczema is not easy to cope with, but I do think your skin will improve as you let go of alcohol.
Of course, I'd check with your doctor if it gets worse.
Good luck!
Old 09-19-2013, 12:45 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Toward the end of my drinking days (the last year or two), my face and hands especially would get some redness and dryness when I drank for extended periods, and not even a lot, just 3-4 drinks per night. I was noticing the other day how nice the skin on my face felt lately and it's not even been a month since I quit, although I did have a few weeks before that also. Alcohol is just bad for so many parts of our bodies - I worry about the parts I can't see!
Old 09-19-2013, 12:50 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Ok, that's quite odd. I also have psoriasis. Had a flare right when I quit which is now getting better. I'm sure it was the stress of quitting.

I just find it interesting that two others just posted that they have it too. Didn't think it was very common.
Old 09-19-2013, 01:35 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by anchorbird View Post
Has anyone experienced this? I have had eczema my entire life, but when I started drinking heavily 2 years ago, red itchy patches started forming on my lower legs. I did drink last night (sigh, starting over again today) and I noticed the rashes got really itchy.

Just another reason to put down the bottle. My skin looks nasty!
Oh that's weird, I had practically the same thing, these red patches that were really dry. They have gone completely now, I'd forgotten about them. I also practically had scales on my shins I was so dehydrated. My skin is so much better now.
Old 09-19-2013, 01:53 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Anchor - I had that too. I went to the doctor about it but no one gave it a name or said it was drinking related. I know it was, though - because it all cleared up and never came back. I got it at the end of my drinking career when I was really badly off. It even spread to other areas besides legs. Not good.

As you said - another great reason to lay it down.
Old 09-19-2013, 02:04 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

When I was drinking I had red, itchy spots on my stomach and back. The dermatologist said it was probably a fungus and they gave me an anti-fungal cream to apply to it once a day. The cream seemed to help, but I was too busy drinking to remember to apply it as I should, so the spots never really went away, just faded a bit when I did remember to use it. When I quit drinking, they cleared up entirely on their own.
Old 09-19-2013, 02:06 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi anchor, I did not have the legrash. However, I did have red spots on my face. Under my nose was itchy and bumpy. I know it was the alcohol. It went away after a few months when I quit. Very best wishes to you anchor.
Old 09-19-2013, 04:39 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi Ladyblue,

The "heartbreak of psoriasis" eh?!!
I'm so happy that my skin is under better control now, into my third month. My psoriatic arthritis has been bothersome lately though, hopefully that will settle a bit too as more time passes. Yoga helps.