Notices

Day 7 and failure

Old 09-19-2013, 11:28 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 7 and failure

A little embarrassed to admit that I failed on day seven, that is Friday just gone. I also "fell" on Monday and yesterday evening. I keep repeating the same patterns despite the adverse effect on my health, finances and work. It's frustrating to say the least...

I will try once again but I am feeling a little defeated and beginning to think that I may never be able to change.

I hope everyone else has had more success than I have recently.
Old 09-19-2013, 11:32 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

orieme - Don't let this get you down. There will be bumps in the road to sobriety. Just jump back in the car and keep on driving. The road eventually gets smoother. You should not feel defeated. That is your AV talking. Have hope and some faith, you can do this one day at a time.
Old 09-19-2013, 11:35 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

No such thing as a failure orieme, you had 6 days of successful experience and made a bad choice on Day 7, now you just go back to what you were doing in those 6 successful days and keep on repeating that. No such thing as a failure just an experience that didn't work.

We are all here to help each other so keep posting and use others experience as assistance for your new journey.
Old 09-19-2013, 11:37 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Realising my life

You haven't given up giving up, orieme, and that's what counts

Hang on in there.
Old 09-19-2013, 11:38 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
EndGame

Originally Posted by orieme View Post
A little embarrassed to admit that I failed on day seven, that is Friday just gone. I also "fell" on Monday and yesterday evening. I keep repeating the same patterns despite the adverse effect on my health, finances and work. It's frustrating to say the least...

I will try once again but I am feeling a little defeated and beginning to think that I may never be able to change.

I hope everyone else has had more success than I have recently.
Hey orieme.

Too often when we "fail," we believe that all we need to do is "work harder." If working harder actually worked, many more of us would have achieved sobriety than is actually the case.

More often than not, the remedy is to work different. This applies to other ventures beyond achieving sobriety.

In one of your earlier comments, you inquired about AA, but I don't see that you actually went to a meeting. In any event, what you've been doing thus far doesn't seem to be working. Whether it's AA, professional treatment or some other option, now would be a good time to "work different."
Old 09-19-2013, 11:42 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
I could see peace instead of this

If you learned something and got back up to try again, it's not a failure. No one is hopeless.

EndGame is right, it might help to look at a different approach. Try something different.
Old 09-19-2013, 12:15 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Just about everyone stumbles Orieme, most of us multiple times before finally figuring out how to remain sober. Feeling defeated is normal, but thinking that you can "never" change is just your alcoholism trying to tell you that to keep you drinking. Anyone can change, and anyone can quit drinking if they truly want to - including you.

As others have mentioned, instead of just trying the same thing again, you may want to consider tyring something differernt. LIke AA/NA - or maybe counseling, maybe even intensive outpatient treatment. But the bottom line is that whatever you were doing didn't work - dust yourself off and find a new way to make it work.
Old 09-19-2013, 12:17 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Also look carefully at what happened on Day 7. Did you have an argument, or not eat properly? Hunger will often trigger cravings for alcohol because blood sugar is low. Figure out what caused it and avoid next time.
Old 09-19-2013, 12:29 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

So you've managed 85% sober to not sober in a week .. what target next ?

I recon go for the 100% this next week ... maybe beware of what happend this time , I'd watch out for HALT hungry angry lonely tired , i'd also add bored but it dosn't make for such a nice acroynm .

Is there something you could do for more support ? or something different you'll try the next time you feel like you did ?

Bestwishes, m
Old 09-19-2013, 03:47 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Keep going orieme. It's hard we all know that but it does get easier. Guessing yiurnnamenis in reference to bleech?
Old 09-19-2013, 08:06 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi Orieme. I started this journey on August 1. Got to day 15 and had a freak out moment and drove straight to the store for two bottles of wine and made myself sick. Got to day 3 again and had another bottle of wine to prove to myself that I could drink without getting sick. Stupid logic, I know.

But, today is 32 straight days! After some reflection, I realized that despite my vigil on SR, I had been isolating myself in real life. I had also managed to avoid any life-related stresses so when the first stress came, I wasn't prepared and instead went blindly for the bottle. I also had to reassess the big picture of how badly alcohol has been negatively affecting my mind, body, and spirit for too many years.

You can learn from this. Try to identify what you were feeling when you decided to drink and what you can do differently next time to get through that moment. Sending you some happy strength vibes!