Notices

Day 6

Old 09-19-2013, 07:22 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 6

I almost got a bottle of wine last night because I felt like I had reached my limit of how much stress I could take and was gonna explode. The only thing (scary) that kept me from doing it was that I am on a 5 day weight-loss challenge and one of my rules is "Nothing to drink but H2O, tea and coffee" Oh I am soooo glad I didn't :P

My vivid dreams are starting now and I now this isn't a dream-sharing forum but it was so disturbing and I have to get it out and I can't tell my husband. In it my alcoholic brother in law had got so wasted he hit his wife with a chair and she decided to leave him. Some of us went with her to the road to wait for her ride and he followed us. He was raving drunk and had the worst blank-eyed stare. He went out in the road and fell on his knees and started doing what looked like hitting the pavement. My husband said "He must want to get hit by car or something" and then I realized what he was doing and said "NO! HE IS SLASHING HIS WRISTS, GET OVER THERE NOW!!!" and we ran over there and he was literally pounding his wrists with a straight edge razor and there was blood everywhere. Then I had to call 911 and I got put on hold and really it was a nightmare.

Couldn't get back to sleep after that one, had to pray to God and I had to pray for my brother in law.
That is one good thing about drinking... I'm too passed out to have unholy nightmares like that.

Someone else please tell me if they get wretched, wretched nightmares like this when getting newly sober??
Old 09-19-2013, 07:25 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Congrats on Day 6 and nice work on resisting the urges last night.

Regarding dreams/nightmares I had them and it seems to be a very common occurence. It took a couple weeks for me before i really started to regain some "normal" sleep patterns. Keep in mind you've been poisoning your body for a while now, it's not going to miraculously heal in a few days.
Old 09-19-2013, 07:27 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I did and a lot of the time they make no sense once you wake up but their so real that they play on your mind.

It's horrible but it should pass soon - your nearly at ten days and the worst of your withdrawls should be over. Just hang in there. Your doing so well.
Old 09-19-2013, 09:34 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Vivid dreams and nightmares are common in early recovery. Stay sober and things will gradually smooth out.