Notices

Newbi

Old 09-19-2013, 04:27 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Newbi

Hi,

So found this site a couple of weeks ago and have been on a few things. So decided to today after my first meeting with my addiction councilor, that I should sign up.

I was asked what my goal was in terms of my drinking so we could set a plan, i had say to control my drinking. Though somehow I know that isn't enough that if I want to make any improvements in my life I need to quit completely. But it's completely terrifying to me to say I'm going to give up alcohol, with it being such a social norm.

I have managed to cut back a bit before my appointment today, but I have lapses of drinking way too much, and the consequences of my decision haven't been nice. I need to change this. And hopefully from everyone else stories and just being on this site may be the additional help I need.

Thanks.
Old 09-19-2013, 04:29 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome NIgirl, lots of support and advice here. Glad you are here.
Old 09-19-2013, 04:32 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Alcohol Free Member

This website is a Godsend. I only joined yesterday. Been drink free since Sunday this week. You find most people on here are very supportive and get your point of view. Mainly because we are still going through the exact same thing you are.
All you can do is say that you will not pick up that first drink. Once you do, we all know how it ends. The fact you recognise you may have a problem is the start to a solution that you can live with.

For me, once I have that first drink, my brain tells me its ok to have another. Afterall, its my life, its my money and I deserve drink etc etc etc. The next day, the same voice tells me I should stop, while throwing up and managing a headache at work, only to repeat the madness a few hours later.

I am an alcoholic, because I love alcohol so much I must have it everyday.

Thats all there is to it. The rest is self justification, worrying yourself that you will never be able to have a drink socially again. Then I remind myself, there is nothing social about the way I drink alcohol.

We are here for you NIgirl, PM anytime.
Old 09-19-2013, 04:39 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
AA member

Welcome to SR.
Old 09-19-2013, 04:58 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome Read everything you can here, it will help a lot. Don't be terrified of giving up something that damages you so much, be grateful you've seen a ***** of light.
Old 09-19-2013, 05:17 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome. I see you recognize that there is a problem with your alcohol consumption and this is a good starting point. I needed AA to stay stopped and find a lot of good advice on these pages. You will probably not like some of the suggestions to get and stay sober but that's the way it is. I needed to get honest with myself about my drinking and the pitfalls put in our head about drinking like there is no such thing as moderate drinking for an alcoholic. I didn't like being an alcoholic but I needed to accept the things I couldn't change. To me it now means that I cannot drink in safety. Many forms of fear prevented me to stop drinking and plugging the jug. Unfortunately many out there fall by the side as stopping and staying can be complicated in part by our undisciplined/immature actions and reactions. Stopping one day/minute at a time is a great start and then our lives become much better. BE WELL
Old 09-19-2013, 09:12 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm on day 26 (again) and find it helps to avoid social situations where people are drinking, at least for the first few months. I become kind of a hermit for awhile. This time I plan to never drink again but it took me a long time and many attempts to realize I couldn't have just one or two without slipping back into a drinking routine. Good luck, be strong!
Old 09-19-2013, 09:14 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

to SR! I'm glad you found us and joined the family. Giving up drinking was the smartest decision I've ever made.