Notices

carbs..ice cream..

Old 09-18-2013, 07:41 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

carbs..ice cream..

Cravings are going away but now I feel the urge to eat sweets and carby things. I eat very paleo so this is new to me. Should I indulge? Probably way healthier than alcohol! I just don't want the eating sugary stuff or carby stuff to make me begin to have cravings for alcohol. Thoughts?
Old 09-18-2013, 07:51 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It's better than booze. The worst is that you will put on weight which you can lose by exercise and restricting other food. I have started to eat more carbs and sugar as well especially at night. However, I exercise 5-6x a week to try and work it off. Sobriety is my top priority so I dont really care if I do put on weight. I will lose it later when my desire for alcohol wanes.
Old 09-18-2013, 07:58 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Try healthier carbs. Brown rice, beans other whole grains. All are carb heavy, but healthier than foods like ice cream.

Personally, I eat a lot of steel cut oat meal. It takes 30 minutes to make, but I make a lot and keep it in the fridge. I then eat it was fruit, cinnamon and milk. It satisfies my carb cravings.
Old 09-18-2013, 08:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I have horrible cravings for sugar and carbs. I have to eat GF and try to stick with paleo. I would say try plantain chips for the carb cravings and dark chocolate with almond butter for the sugar cravings. Plantain chips taste like pringles. Oooh.... How about cocoa crack? Delish
Old 09-18-2013, 08:07 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

How long have you been AF?
Old 09-19-2013, 02:14 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I craved sugar. Mostly chocolate and ice cream. I had to have these! At first I tried to fight it. I was never a big sweet person. I mean I liked them but I could take it or leave it. When I quit I craved them. Once I had a candy bar I wanted another.

That has calmed down now. I never worried about the calories or fat. I was fat already so I did not care. To my surprise I lost weight.

I am almost six months sober and I have lost 31 pounds. Go figure. The cravings for sugar and chocolate is almost gone. I don't crave it really, but I am no longer a take it or leave it person. I will take it! LOL
Old 09-19-2013, 04:15 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

83mama,

I'm experiencing the same thing. Lots of carb cravings especially. I can go through a baguette in 10 minutes! I'm only 3 months sober so I'm indulging for now because it's better than drinking! I'll see in a couple of months. So far, no weight gain here, but no weight loss either and I need to take a few lbs. off. Oh well...one thing at a time...

June
Old 09-19-2013, 04:19 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Alcohol Free Member

My appetite has increased exponentially each day I haven't had a drink.
Old 09-19-2013, 04:52 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

When I finally got sober it was suggested that eating/drinking sweet items was helping the body adjust from the lack of sugar the alcohol produced. It sure helped me. BE WELL
Old 09-19-2013, 05:12 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I've been eating a bit of high cocoa solid chocolate every day which helps with the need for sweetness, and I haven't noticed a need to up my carbs but then I've been making more of an effort to eat a massive salad every day (and I mean massive - leaves, nuts, fruit, bit of cheese maybe, a few lentils, maybe some other protein like dry cured meats or grilled chicken) or a really veg full meal with chicken.
Old 09-19-2013, 06:43 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

AF for 5 days.. I'm gluten free too. I ate some chips, a bowl of seed/nut cereal with almond milk, and some pistachios last night after dinner. Not bad. My appetite has increased and I definitely can take the sweets now where as before I could take it or leave it. Dark chocolate at night isn't good for me. Keeps me up! I Aldo have a trampoline so any time I feel stressed or start to get s craving I go on the trampoline for 10 minutes and that takes care of it. Maybe because I'm working out more, that's why I need more calories.
Old 09-19-2013, 09:04 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

My views on junk food have shifted in the past year. I'm pretty young for these forums, so maybe not too many people can relate to this, but I know that I won't be young forever. I know that my lightning fast metabolism will slow down and I know that I will deteriorate and get chubby if I let it happen.

The time to act is right NOW. Not tomorrow, not next year, right now. If I wait until I'm 40 with achy joints and unwanted weight it will be too late. I don't ever want to fight an uphill battle, I don't ever want to go on a diet because I have to. I want to form the correct habits right now, so that when I reach that age, it will not be a drastic change, but something I've already been doing for years and years.

No sugar, no processed foods; if it's man made don't eat it, that's what Jack Lalanne said and he was in amazing shape both mentally and physically up until his death at 96 years old.
Old 09-19-2013, 09:48 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Sober over 4.5 months, eating like a pig over here...oink, oink

I've gained about 20 pounds, but hey, I was practically starving to death while I was drinking, even though I wasn't skinny in the first place. I forgot how good junk food tastes because with all the sugar I got out of alcohol, I rarely ate sugary things when I was actively drinking.

Lately, I have not met a bagel I didn't like. I build salads that are so tall, they look like the Eiffel Tower. Don't get me started on how much I love ice cream