Notices

14 days for the first time in over 10 years!

Old 09-18-2013, 08:46 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

14 days for the first time in over 10 years!

Hey everyone,

I find myself back here again. Been on before with another username but have decided this time is a total fresh start. I'm on Day 14 which is the longest I've gone without a drink since I was 15 (I'm 28 now).

My background. From Glasgow in the UK. Essentially a serial one night binger (anything from 20-35 units on a night out or in on my own) since I was 15. I had a period of two/three months of drinking every night a couple of years ago which I think only stopped because I moved in with my other half. I've suffered from clinical depression on and off for the past 7/8 years along with anxiety, low self esteem and chronic fatigue. Drinking was a refuge from that all that but every hangover was worse than the one before. Interaction with SSRIs caused issues with blackouts while drinking and made me ill, more anxious and more depressed for days after.

About 6 weeks ago I woke up and just couldn't go to work. Decided I needed to deal with the depression and now in counselling. After a couple of really bad binges (bottle of wine and over a half litre of spirits) on my own in the house during this period decided that if this was going to work the drink had to go completely as I don't have an off button.

Been 'grieving' the last couple of weeks but passed my biggest hurdle to date last night when I was in on my own and my boyfriend was away overnight. Watched a film, drank a big pot of coffee and read SR. Woke up in a panic this morning and then realised I had nothing to worry about as I hadn't been drinking!

Anyway that's me. Apologies if it's a bit of a ramble. Just glad to be back!
Old 09-18-2013, 08:48 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome back! Congrats on your sober time and here's to many more sober days.
Old 09-18-2013, 08:50 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome back Nightswimming, congratulations on 14 days sober. Glad you are here.
Old 09-18-2013, 09:15 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Congrats! Keep reading and posting
Old 09-18-2013, 09:35 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome back Nightswimming and keep up the good work. 14 days is pretty awesome x
Old 09-18-2013, 09:38 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Congratulations Nightswimming! Great to have you here :o)