Notices

Liver Function Tests-nerves

Old 09-18-2013, 08:27 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Liver Function Tests-nerves

I've got a doctors appointment tomorrow to find out what damage I've done to my liver, I had tests done around 9 months ago and got good results and that was right after a night of heavy drinking. So objectively I should be positive but I'm absolutely terrified. This anxiety is causing me major cravings to drink, so I'm looking for ways to keep myself distracted. What helps you guys/gals get through bouts of cravings?
Old 09-18-2013, 08:45 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thinking about my damaged liver, frankly!

Seriously. I do have liver damage and it got me sober quick for 5 months, and I use it to try to stay strong, but I have had relapses.

Maybe take a walk, have some tea or a hot drink, deep breaths. Meditate. See a movie. Anything but drinking alcohol.
Old 09-18-2013, 08:46 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Keeping myself and my mind busy was key for me. Too much time on my hands meant too much time to focus on drinking. Walking / exercising, reading, posting on here. Doing anything to occupy my time helped. Wishing you best of luck for tomorrow. Try and stay positive.
Old 09-18-2013, 08:47 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Walking is great, really helps me think clearly: which is important in not kidding myself into thinking having a drink is fine.
Old 09-18-2013, 08:50 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I found that talking to people, my sponsor and others about the cravings helps. Telling on myself and my disease had a positive effect. Moving, making a effort to get outside, walk, talk on the phone, visit the chat rooms, do some housework...anything but sitting and thinking helps
Old 09-18-2013, 08:57 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

With all the walking us alcoholics seem to be doing we could get a heck of a hiking squad together by rounding people up at AA meetings.
Old 09-18-2013, 10:37 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

No need to be terrified. I had high liver enzymes a year ago. They are now normal. I also had acute renal insufficiency almost a month ago. With a change in diet and continued abstinence from alcohol, my liver and kidney tests came back normal last week.

Even if your tests come out normal, I seriously hope you don't continue to drink. The liver is amazingly resilient, but there would come a point where there would be irreversible damage if you continue drinking.
Old 09-18-2013, 10:45 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Nothing Left to do but Smile.

I use AVRT, the patented answer I give my AV every time it creeps up. ""No Way, it ain't gonna happen."
It's worked for 16 months now.