Notices

Just need to vent...

Old 09-18-2013, 08:11 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
MTD

Just need to vent...

I have been sober for 6 weeks now and SR has helped tremendously. I have been feeling pretty lousy for a while about an addiction clinic where I live. My husband attends IOP therapy and I have been going with him on Wed. nights to family meetings. My issue is that the people at this clinic convinced me that I would benefit from IOP myself. After filling out forms and sharing very emotional and personal information they told me they couldn't help me because I cant attend the same sessions as my AH!! Well that just about put me over the edge. We both have to work and there is no other options for me. I just cant face going to family therapy and pretending that I am not hurt. There is no other options where I live for IOP. Just feeling really let down...
Old 09-18-2013, 08:23 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Not much I can comment on b\c I have no clue what IOP is .. But congrats on 6 weeks Not to mention you quoted the Dead lol
Old 09-18-2013, 08:25 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congrats on the 6 weeks, I am sorry the IOP.

But

Old 09-18-2013, 08:28 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

MTD,

That sucks, and I'm sorry. Quite possibly the person who suggested you started the process was unaware that a couple could not attend together? The world is populated by people (myself included) who use only 2% of their brains at any given time. If it would make you feel better, you could always write the manager a thoughtful letter explaining what happened, how you feel the training should be improved to prevent future incidents like yours, and how the initial incompetence has affected your faith in the utility of that particular out-patient clinic. Polite, reasonable roasting always makes me feel a lot better, but, then again, I love love love the chance to be a little smug and chastising.

On the bright side, you don't need IOP to stay sober. You've proven that yourself over the last 6 weeks. And, to me at least, it makes sense to put a little space between your recovery process and your partner's. That space may ultimately prove very beneficial to you.

Are there other, non IOP, options near you? AA, Rational Recovery, etc.? Maybe you want to think about staking out a claim to a home-meeting with some program -- someplace that is for you and your process. Or, if your insurance allows, a therapist you could see individually? Might not even need to be a therapist who specializes in addiction...having an ear to yourself might be enough to help.

My sympathies...intake procedures are draining, and incompetence from the people who are supposed to be helping you can be demoralizing. Just don't let their error derail your progress.
Old 09-18-2013, 08:53 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I am sorry about the misunderstanding too but happy for your six weeks sobriety. Writing a letter to the place may help. They could change their ways and you'd feel a bit relieved to vent.

Old 09-18-2013, 12:37 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
MTD

Thank you all. That really helps when you get feedback from people who care enough to send a reply
Old 09-18-2013, 12:46 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Friend-

You don't need that program, or any other program for that matter to stay sober. You've already proven that to yourself. Thus, just keep moving forward, one day at a time, simply putting one foot in front of the other and you'll be fine.