Notices

allen carr

Old 09-18-2013, 03:37 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

allen carr

I am thinking of going for a session, tried every thing else.
what has helped you ?

Teena xx
Old 09-18-2013, 04:37 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Hi Tenna, welcome to SR. Hope you stay around for a while because there is a lot of support here for you.

I didn't go to a formal session about his book, but I read it and recommend it. It helped me get rid of the romantic ideas about alcohol that we have while drinking, and put my decision to quit drinking in clearer focus.

For me, it was a decision to quit, and then I read like a madman while detoxing and through my early days of sobriety. I decided to quit, then tried everything to make it as easy as possible on myself. I really believe that you have to quit first though as the first priority, I don't think you can read anything that will convince you to quit if you haven't yet.

You can quit, Teena, we all can. You deserve to live without addiction and to have a life without all the cr@p that goes along with it, the shame, depression, anxiety, fear. There is joy and beauty and peace waiting for you, and it is up to you.
Old 09-18-2013, 04:47 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thankyou so much my session is 4/10 so will let you know

fingers x

t xx
Old 09-18-2013, 06:44 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I read the book and found it helpful in re-framing the issue. I really discovered through the book that alcohol was my enemy, not my friend, and I was not giving up a pleasure but a poison.

Having said that I read the book some years ago and it has taken up to now to make some headway. Worth a go for sure!
Old 09-18-2013, 07:09 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

made me laugh and i ve not done that for some time

thanks matey
Old 09-18-2013, 07:11 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

i m having difficulty getting aroud this site, how do you read about other in this situation???????
Old 09-18-2013, 07:33 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Teena, you can use google to help you search a topic on SR. Type this in the google search window:
site:soberrecovery.com carr to find posts and threads about this author. It will bring up mentions of his name on all forums. I think you will find Allen Carr mentioned most frequently in the Newcomers' forum, and the Secular Connections forum.

BTW, SR has lots of different forums - take a look around to see if there is a particular one that interests you. SoberRecovery also has a chat room, and there is almost always a conversation going on in there.
Old 09-18-2013, 08:02 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi thanks for that, if you don t mind me asking, how did u kick the stuff.

I can t seem to get on chat room says nobody on there, am i doing something wrong i am a very hungover blonde lol
Old 09-18-2013, 09:01 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Teena View Post
Hi thanks for that, if you don t mind me asking, how did u kick the stuff.

I can t seem to get on chat room says nobody on there, am i doing something wrong i am a very hungover blonde lol
Teena,
I got sober 5 months ago.At the time I was terrified and still am some days.But trust me .It does get better.I did the 12 steps or "The Way Out" as they're sometimes called.The thing is you have to really want it.I mean really really want it.Half measures avail us nothing.
Old 09-18-2013, 09:17 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

i ve done the 12 steps way, just did nt work for me, i had the best sponsor in the world but once it think i m alright i go and do it again, i think it s the god thing i can t get my head around,
hence why i m trying th A carr way hoping it will work
I do REALLY want it though,
I still can t get on the chat forum for some reason

xx
Old 09-18-2013, 10:37 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Teena, I got sober without a 12 step program. I looked into one of them and read its book, but it was not ever going to be a successful fit for me. So, I kept looking and reading, but meanwhile I had separated myself from my urges and tried to stay mindful of them by recognizing them for what they are. I recognized them as only my addiction to that alcohol buzz, and that I would kick this, one way or another.
Then, member here introduced me to AVRT, and I discovered that what I had been doing had a name. So, from my experience, I suggest you look into it. And keep looking for your own particular answer too.
Old 09-18-2013, 10:39 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I got a lot out of his book. It helped me truly absorb that alcohol is poison by its very definition. Books have been a very important part of my recovery..as has SR and my therapist.
Old 09-18-2013, 06:47 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

This book was my favorite and finally put a different perspective on alcohol for me. Once I started reading the book I quit (he actually suggests not quitting while reading) but I just couldn't keep drinking as I was reading it. I have not drank a drop of alcohol since and it has been 83 days now. I thank God every day for this book. I can't count how many times I have tried to stop drinking, even went to meetings, which were great, but I never could last more than 20 days sober.

I would love to go to a session but aren't they only in Europe?
Old 09-18-2013, 07:05 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
True strength lies within

Originally Posted by freshstart57 View Post
Teena, I got sober without a 12 step program. I looked into one of them and read its book, but it was not ever going to be a successful fit for me. So, I kept looking and reading, but meanwhile I had separated myself from my urges and tried to stay mindful of them by recognizing them for what they are. I recognized them as only my addiction to that alcohol buzz, and that I would kick this, one way or another.
Then, member here introduced me to AVRT, and I discovered that what I had been doing had a name. So, from my experience, I suggest you look into it. And keep looking for your own particular answer too.
AVRT Rational Recovery,, awsome book.
Old 09-18-2013, 07:38 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Originally Posted by Teena View Post
i ve done the 12 steps way, just did nt work for me, i had the best sponsor in the world but once it think i m alright i go and do it again, i think it s the god thing i can t get my head around,
hence why i m trying th A carr way hoping it will work
I do REALLY want it though,
I still can t get on the chat forum for some reason

xx
Maybe sometime later you'd be willing to talk to me via PM's. I'd live to ask you some things regarding your experience. Shoot me a message when and if you're willing.

Thx