Notices

First Post - New Member - 2 Questions

Old 09-17-2013, 06:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First Post - New Member - 2 Questions

Hello All,

I gave up drinking 2 weeks ago this very minute. I am 38 and have been drinking since high school. My alcohol progression has been textbook, I would classify myself as on the border of mid-late stage. I was a morning/day/night drinker for the last 6 months. I liked to shoot jagermeister and drink beer at night, but would drink wine to maintain. I had not had a dry day for 6 years up until two weeks ago. I detoxed alone, at home, and made it thru to today. During days 4-5, I went in 5 minute intervals just to keep myself sane.

I had two questions for the group:

1.) Did anyone else have issue with their tongue when they stopped drinking? My tongue goes numb at around 4:00 each day. Could it be mental?
2.) I have been having the most vivid dreams the last 2-3 nights. Did anyone else have powerful and overwhelming dreams as they became sober?

Thanks in advance for the response.
Old 09-17-2013, 06:41 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

to SR! I also had vivid dreams during early recovery. I think it's a normal thing at that time. Your brain is getting back to normal functioning and it needs time to 'rewire' itself.

Congrats on your two weeks sober! I'm glad you found us and joined the family. You'll find lots of support here.
Old 09-17-2013, 06:49 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
quat

Welcome cobiaone
Great on your two weeks you found a great place for support
Vivid dreaming in early sobriety seems to be a running theme, I had them too,some actually fun some not so much
Wish you well and hope to see you around
Old 09-17-2013, 07:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
~sb

1. yes
2. yes

2 years and 4 months later.... no problems for a while now!

Keep moving forward!!!!!
Old 09-17-2013, 07:18 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

The dreams I am enjoying! I googled the tongue thing and it seems that it is relatively common. Thanks for the welcome comments.
Old 09-17-2013, 07:19 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yes on the vivid dreams. The ones I had last night were out of this world. No on the tongue unless you count dehydration and constant thirst for two weeks after getting sober.
Old 09-18-2013, 12:34 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi, welcome - and well done!

I haven't had the tongue thing, but vivid dreams are very common in early recovery I have read. Alcohol basically makes you pass out into unconsciousness if we drink excessively. Often we don't dream much as drinkers and this actually adds to the mental mess we get ourselves into. When we quit our sleeping patterns can remain disturbed for a while and we tend to sleep much more lightly for at least a few days. With that come a lot of dreaming sometimes. I know that happened to me.

All the best to you again!
Old 09-18-2013, 01:22 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Congrats on 2 weeks and welcome to SR!

No tongue thing but I have had dreams. I did not have them early but I have had three drinking dreams in the past two months.

I had one last night. I was not drinking, which was good, but I was craving in my dream. I wanted to drink and I was really upset over it. I kept obsessing over how I am going to feel this way for the rest of my life and that I might as well drink rather than feel this way.

What is strange is I have no cravings and no desire to drink. I have been obsessing over other things though and maybe it was a way of letting me know that I need to stop it.
Old 09-18-2013, 01:25 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Congrats and welcome

Yes the dreams are normal, and glad they are pleasant for you.
Old 09-18-2013, 01:45 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
instant

All sorts of weird stuff happened to me for at least six months. Things waxed and waned quite markedly.

Good decision to quit.
Old 09-18-2013, 01:55 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I can't shed any light on the tongue. Perhaps your doctor can. Numbness in that quarter would seem to be transitory and arguably among the lesser symptoms of withdrawal. The vivid dreaming is quite common and may result from the brain's having been deprived of REM sleep because of the alcohol so now in a sense it is making up for lost time. Since you've got two weeks (Congratulations!) you are probably over the rough part of detox. It's wise to keep in close touch with your doctor however. He/she would be likely to want to check your blood pressure, and do other tests.

W.
Old 09-18-2013, 07:45 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Cobia, now that your questions have been addressed, let's take a moment to recognize what you have accomplished. 15 days of sobriety! Congratulations!
Old 09-18-2013, 08:28 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by wpainterw View Post
I can't shed any light on the tongue. Perhaps your doctor can. Numbness in that quarter would seem to be transitory and arguably among the lesser symptoms of withdrawal. The vivid dreaming is quite common and may result from the brain's having been deprived of REM sleep because of the alcohol so now in a sense it is making up for lost time. Since you've got two weeks (Congratulations!) you are probably over the rough part of detox. It's wise to keep in close touch with your doctor however. He/she would be likely to want to check your blood pressure, and do other tests.

W.
I agree with this! A visit to the doctor is in order if you have not already...congratulations on making it through 2 weeks...the first week especially is the hardest!
Old 09-18-2013, 08:37 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

My nightmares were insane. Don't sweat it, they pass.