Notices

Urges

Old 09-16-2013, 05:58 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Urges

I am lying here in Frankfurt in my hotel room at 2AM. I am finding being on the road is more difficult than anticipated. I am on my first day of week 4 but having urges. I have already called my sponsor. I have opened and closed the mini bar a dozen times and stared at nips.

I am on page 94 of the big book and starting on the steps. I go back and forth relating to stories and then not. I identify with my mind playing tricks for the illusion of not being an alcoholic/addict so I can drink again. I realize where that will go. I am okay with the spiritual aspect of AA.

I am posting this to let others know I feel like I have walked through the abyss to get to week 4 being sober and am still having difficulty every once and a while. I know I am not alone and your not alone.

I have just added a meeting to my calendar for Singapore to ground myself this Thursday. I may attend one in Frankfurt tomorrow.
Old 09-16-2013, 06:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I am sorry this is not working according to plan, I have been worried about your 'do it all' program and have said so. Smoking that cigarette instead of taking a drink can be important for a smoker in the early days.

I wish you well, not an I told you so at all, but there is the lesser of two evils that may help you now.
Old 09-16-2013, 06:10 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks - although I am not craving a cigarette I am in a room alone with several bottles of vodka. I am just used to drinking when on the road, which was +200 days for me a year.

You know what, I am going to call the front desk and have them remove the vodka from my room. Maybe I will ask if they have a pack of cigarettes too - thanks.
Old 09-16-2013, 06:10 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Can you lock the mini bar and give the key to the front desk?
Old 09-16-2013, 06:12 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Oops. Cross post.
Even now I cannot have any alcohol in my house. Ever.

I would be interested in your description of the AA meeting. I have only ever been to meetings in my area.
Old 09-16-2013, 06:13 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

no key - I poured the vodka down the toilet too distracting. Sure it will cost me a pretty penny - so that distraction is out of the way - maybe I should get rid of the scotch too.
Old 09-16-2013, 06:15 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
p***enger

Hi jdooner -- don't know your story but I had a business trip at about 8 weeks and it was very, very hard --

Some ideas that helped me:

I called ahead & asked the hotel to take the booze out of the mini-bar (you can do that, if they forget, go ahead and remind them).
I couldn't sleep, so I was up in SR and AA chatrooms all night throughout the trip.
I called all the numbers I had.
I took hot showers -- like 5-6 a day.
I smoked.

At that time I had very few sober tools -- I did whatever worked, but didn't drink. Hope this helps!
Old 09-16-2013, 06:16 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Great idea on asking for removal of the vodka, jd, I imagine if you call ahead to hotels on your other destinations they may be able to get it out before you arrive.
Old 09-16-2013, 06:17 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

Better down the booze down the toilet than your sobriety. I couldn't have a distraction like that either. You so did the right thing, but I'm sure you already know that.
Old 09-16-2013, 06:18 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Velveteen Rabbit

Originally Posted by jdooner View Post
no key - I poured the vodka down the toilet too distracting. Sure it will cost me a pretty penny - so that distraction is out of the way - maybe I should get rid of the scotch too.
You beat me before I could say it! Give instructions to future front desks as to your mini-bar instructions.
Old 09-16-2013, 06:18 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

jdooner, I am sitting in a hotel room in Boston basically doing the same thing as you in Frankfurt.
This is day 22 for me and my first business trip since I stopped drinking. I always used to drink heavily when I travelled and it seems very odd to not be drinking right now. I'm here until Thursday and then I fly home. It sounds like you are doing a round the world. I have done many of those, and I understand the isolation one feels when travelling. Ignore the drinks in the refrigerator and focus on what you have accomplished so far.
Safe travels.
Old 09-16-2013, 06:19 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I poured the vodka, gin, scotch, whiskey beer and wine out - I am going to have a hefty mini bar bill, oh well.
Old 09-16-2013, 06:19 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

We are here for you man, post away as much as you need for distraction.
Old 09-16-2013, 06:21 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Velveteen Rabbit

Originally Posted by jdooner View Post
I poured the vodka, gin, scotch, whiskey beer and wine out - I am going to have a hefty mini bar bill, oh well.
Now here is someone who is really committed!!!! Good for you!!!

Best story I've heard all day!
Old 09-16-2013, 06:23 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thanks for the help - I really am surprised this is as difficult for me. I did not think I would have an issue. I will call ahead to the rest of my hotels. The roller coaster ride is just draining.

I upgraded to First Class from Business on the flight over and the staff took my lack of drinking as a personal insult. Lol, I mean they must of asked me 6 times.

I am dreading my Singapore Airlines flight with the beautiful Thai women trying to get me to drink, ugh!
Old 09-16-2013, 06:25 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Props to you JD....this will make a great story someday...the I stayed sober in spite of story!
Old 09-16-2013, 06:26 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
p***enger

Congrats on dumping the liquor -- the other things I've done when traveling on business -- I eat ice cream in the airports (it cuts the cravings) and I talk to anybody -- there are a lot of lonely people, stranded passengers, junior colleagues -- anybody who'll get you out of your own head!
Old 09-16-2013, 06:27 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I lambasted Amajorityofone for what I perceived as juding my commitment to sobriety the other day regarding my plans in Singapore. AMO - if your out there, sorry. I realize you had the right intentions, just interpreted it wrong. Rethinking my Singapore plans at F1 if a mini bar is this challenging.
Old 09-16-2013, 06:27 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Don't look at it is weakness. Sitting right there not sleeping right by it when you are early on is just hard. Pouring all that **** out was really strong. Sometimes its hard to predict the urges, that's why they call them that.