Notices

Whats with the shifts?

Old 09-15-2013, 08:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Whats with the shifts?

So im about 24 hours im. I stopped drinking around this time last night and because i only had teo last night i woke up sweating a lot even in front of my ac. Which i expected. This morning i felt better less nausea but I do have livrr damage so there was some nausea there still but no puking. Ate better than I have in a long time. Drank a lot of water, gatotade and a gongerale. Water doesnt sit well but I kept it down. My only real almost slip was between 530-730 which is normally my start time for drinking. I was moody, sore, it felt like my blood itched. Fought through it and now i feel fine. Why is it not constant? Why only a couple of hours? Is that just a basic 24 hrs? Still because its in my system or is this a good sign? Didn't even pop a xanax which was my origional plan since I have some around for my anxiety attacks. Here's to hoping i get some sleep but as of now im feeling really good,happy and accomplished. Not what i thought I'd feel like at this point.
Old 09-15-2013, 08:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Also sorry about the spelling errors im using my phone and obviously have unsteady hands still at this point.
Old 09-15-2013, 08:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Saved By Grace

I'm not a doctor so I can't shed light on all those physical symptoms, but I remember when I detoxed off alcohol I was very delusional. In my first few weeks of sobriety I diagnosed myself with liver failure, heart murmurs, and one night freaked myself out so bad I drove to the ER. My point is, I did a rapid detox on my own and had a pretty tough time getting the booze out of my system without some periods of anxiety.
Old 09-15-2013, 08:23 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Everyone is different jpm. Some have severe withdrawals, some have relatively mild symptoms. Some start right away, some don't start until several days in. For me, day 3 was by far the worst. It can be dangerous..make sure someone is aware they can help if you need it and see a doctor if you have concerns.
Old 09-15-2013, 08:25 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

See that's what I expected. I took lortab for a year after my car accident and did a rapid detox off that despite the doctor telling me to taper but I didn't need them for pain so why take them i thought. Well my whole first day without them was hell followed by waking up hallucinating, sweating , hot then cold my temp would go from 96 which is my norm to 102 so ive expected the same in this first 24. The fact i only had two bad hours was shocking. Sleeping scares me because of how i awoke on the lortab withdraw but that whole day had been hell anyways. I didn't dump two beers because of that reason. As ive said in other posts I have my son until Wed but I figured he'd be a reminder of why im doing this. While I need him for motivation i don't want him in danger so if I feel heavy withdraw ill curve it then i know I need medical intervention but so far so good. Does anyone else itch during detox or is that maybe me feeling my liver issues for the first time bc I'm sober? I know I itched when stopping lortab too. Also I didn't diagnose myself with liver damage my enzymes have been consistantly testing 152/154 alt/ast i just won't have exact idea of level of damage until my ct scan this week.
Old 09-15-2013, 08:34 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Scott I've quit before after a year or two with no withdraw symptoms, same with the rest of my family alcohol withdraw seems minimal. This time I'm just scared because it was a longer stretch since my last break 3 years, and as we have discussed before the abv was much higher this time. Also the liver function part is an x factor that wasn't there before. My gf is here with me which i didnt mention before because she is detoxing with me if she can. She's a sheriff so if it effects her work by detoxing at home she will have to take vacation time to do it. She doesn't want to quit either but she wants me healthy and her doctors pointing to liver dysfunction as well. So I have her and im a former medic so i have had some sober medic friends checking on my regularly via text and visits. They all begged me to taper but even at two beers I look at my son n hate myself. I had to go cold turkey. Couldn't have another night of self inflicted damage.
Old 09-15-2013, 08:44 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I found the first couple weeks sober were a little rough. Feelings all over the place. Feeling good, then bad. But it gets better the longer you stay sober. Keep at it.
Old 09-16-2013, 07:05 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Day one was good only that one glitch, the gf didnt have it as easy. I slept better than i have in awhile no waking up with a headache, no puking up bile first thing and made it into work on a Monday on time first time in months. I can tell she is in worse shape and I feel bad. While a few days ago i didn't want to quit but knew i had to the way I feel now i simply detest the stuff because its something that could shorten my time with my son and that seems to be enough.
Old 09-16-2013, 07:13 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by jpm1020 View Post
Day one was good only that one glitch, the gf didnt have it as easy. I slept better than i have in awhile no waking up with a headache, no puking up bile first thing and made it into work on a Monday on time first time in months. I can tell she is in worse shape and I feel bad. While a few days ago i didn't want to quit but knew i had to the way I feel now i simply detest the stuff because its something that could shorten my time with my son and that seems to be enough.
Great work on day 1 - I'm glad you found something that works to help. After the acute withdrawal is done you will need a plan...the dire situation itself is many times enough to carry us through the first few days, but your mind starts playing tricks again once the really bad stuff wears off. Glad to hear you have some help as well, and please be safe - sometimes the major symptoms don't kick in until 3-5 days into detox.
Old 09-16-2013, 07:24 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Sounds like pretty typical withdrawal symptoms. They tend to fluctuate a lot. That was my experience and I've read it here often.

This first period you're going through detox, so your body will do all sorts of things. And mentally/emotionally you might notice some things as well.

Do go to a doctor or even the ER if you don't trust what's happening. Better safe than sorry.