SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   What the WHAT? (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/307659-what-what.html)

GotGrace 09-15-2013 07:56 PM

What the WHAT?

My husband and I were invited to a new friend's house for dinner last night. We knew her long-term boyfriend would be there and that he is a foodie, so we were looking forward to a nice evening. Yesterday I did a lot of reading on SR and planning for how I would avoid drinking. When the hostess asked what we like to drink when she invited us I just said, "oh, I'm not drinking right now, so don't worry about me." I brought a bottle of tonic water and a lime with me. I was nervous but feeling pretty strong until I asked the boyfriend what he does for a living: wine distributor! And the rest of the evening was one bottle of wine after another with intricate descriptions on each wine's notes and, frankly, I don't know what because I purposely spaced out when it got to be too much.

I made it through the night without drinking. Thankfully, the food was delicious so I stuffed myself and that really helped. I truly think, too, that all of my reading here on SR helped a lot too. The community in this place is amazingly supportive, and I really didn't want to have to report a slip this morning. So, thank you, everyone, for helping me avoid the drink well before I even knew how much of a temptation it would be. It felt great to wake up clear-headed this morning.

Kaneda8888 09-15-2013 07:59 PM

You did brilliantly

If it was me I would have either: left the dinner or beat up the boyfriend ;)

longbeachone 09-15-2013 08:03 PM

That's great. I've been to those endless tasting dinners, and everyone ends up smashed. Good work!

GotGrace 09-15-2013 08:10 PM

Kaneda, that's funny! Good thing I didn't think of that or it would've become a very real possibility....

JaylaaKent 09-15-2013 08:16 PM

Good job on avoiding the yucky stuff! That must have been hard! Personally I would just say "I'm pregnant" - *LOL* I don't think these days once you say "No thanks I don't drink" people really give you much hub-bub or harassment. I did it for 20 years before as a Mormon. It's only been the past two years I have struggled with the consumption of alcoholism.

Nuudawn 09-15-2013 11:56 PM

Goodness gracious...that is almost hysterical it is so bloody ironic. A freakin' wine tasting listening to a bought and sold salesman yappin' bout licorice top notes and whether the wine has "good legs" in early sobriety.

You done good.
No you did freakin' amazing.
I'm sorry but that could be a hilarious sitcom episode.

Mentium 09-16-2013 12:01 AM

Eek! Close call..and what a test!

..which you obviously passed with flying colours!

DoubleBarrel 09-16-2013 12:27 AM

You deserve a medal for sitting through that!

Wow. Good job.

Acheleus 09-16-2013 01:50 AM

Glad you made it through a "glamorous" part of drinking culture. Food helps me with cravings.

jazzfish 09-16-2013 02:20 AM

I remember someone saying if dog pooh gave you a buzz that within a week people would be discussing the subtleties of its flavor, the nuances of its texture, and the qualities of its bouquet.

Great job getting through it!

littlefish 09-16-2013 02:24 AM

Good for you! Excellent work! If it's any consolation, it does get better, and you might even change your attitude about being around alcohol. I went from the phase of really wanting to drink when I was around alcohol to being neutral about it, to now not caring about it at all. I can easily be at events with alcohol without any desires being triggered. With your growth in sobriety, things change surprisingly, and you will find yourself behaving with calm and confidence in situations that used to baffle and stress you.

DoubleBarrel 09-16-2013 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by jazzfish (Post 4183300)
I remember someone saying if dog pooh gave you a buzz that within a week people would be discussing the subtleties of its flavor, the nuances of its texture, and the qualities of its bouquet.

Great job getting through it!

I'm gagging and laughing at the same time! :lmao

phoebe64 09-16-2013 07:11 PM

Wow, well done! That would have been very hard for me! I might have failed. It is one thing to know ahead, and have the chance to avoid it. Bu tot arrive and have that as a surprise? Wow!

Br00ksie 09-16-2013 07:21 PM

GOLD STAR for you!!!!! *\o/* I would have left early or failed for sure.

Nattythreads 09-16-2013 08:14 PM

Extraordinary display of self control. I would have gone postal somewhere between the amuse bouche and the starter.