Notices

Quitting Cigarettes

Old 09-15-2013, 06:41 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Quitting Cigarettes

So I am on day 19, packing for a 2 week trip around the World through Europe and Asia. I am going to use my time on the road to quit cigarettes.

I tore my meniscus and feel its a direct result on the smokes and contraction of my veins (low blood flow). I smoke roughly 2 packs of cigarettes per week. I am not going to take anything just quit cold turkey - feel strong and that I can get through this.

BTW - Where I could not sleep in the first week, I am finding I am sleeping all the time now. Wondering if I am feeling a tad bit of depression. This should come in handy for the long flights.
Old 09-15-2013, 06:59 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I quit smoking a couple/few months ago. I was a 2+/pack a day smoker. I just up and quit. Done. Used AVRT which was the same technique I used to quit drinking (quit drinking the night I joined here).

Dropped a bunch of weight. Went from a size 12/14 to a size 4/6 (US). I did this by switching my food intake to primal/paleo'ish'.

Energy level is good. I have off days, generally when my blood sugar drops too low but I'm learning my body's needs and this has gotten a lot better.

I did all the above and more under the supervision of my doctor.
Old 09-15-2013, 07:22 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I think it's a great idea to quit while you are doing something completely different, it should make it easier. I used Allen Carr's book for quitting smoking. Worth checking out if you find yourself struggling.

I slept a lot too early on. I was so tired all the time. But I think it was playing catch up as much as anything else, I hadn't slept properly for over a decade so it was no wonder.
Old 09-15-2013, 08:11 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Losing weight goals, quitting cigarettes goal, staying sober. I think you are taking on too much at once. This is a great way to fail at all. Been there, done that, got the t-shirt. Chill a little...
Old 09-15-2013, 09:54 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I am in no way ready to quit smoking cigarettes. I need a lot more sobriety time under my belt and I also need to WANT to quit. I don't want to right now.
Old 09-15-2013, 10:48 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Quitting drinking was absolutely paramount for me in regard to all the other health choices I made. Once that was done I could concentrate on living and everything else has just kind of fallen into place.

It came naturally for me. Finally.
Old 09-15-2013, 11:11 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Just to vote for the 'do everything at once' approach... I quit drink and smoking at the same time. It was necessary for me as it was too much of a trigger. I did mentally prepare myself that if I smoked I didn't have to drink and tried to make sure that sobriety was the number one priority, but fortunately it hasn't come up. It took me over a year to start getting my diet in order though. Everyone does things differently, and I think for some it does help to get healthy all at once.
Old 09-15-2013, 02:54 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Have a wonderful journey!