Notices

A Little Thing, But a Big Thing

Old 09-15-2013, 05:10 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A Little Thing, But a Big Thing

This morning I woke up around 7:30. My car was parked a few blocks away from my apartment building, and since I was awake, I decided to move it and see if I could get a closer parking spot. Parking in my neighborhood is notoriously difficult, except on Sunday mornings. So I got into my car, drove around, and found an awesome space right in front of my building!

While I was in the car, two police cars passed right by me. One of them even passed me going one way, then made a U-turn and passed me again. And I couldn't have been LESS anxious. And it got me thinking. If I had been drinking last night, I probably wouldn't even be awake right now, or if I was, I wouldn't be thinking about moving my car. And even if I had sobered up and decided to move my car, seeing those police cars would have sent my anxiety through the roof. Yet here I am, feeling very un-anxious.

This might seem like a little thing, and in a way I suppose it is, but it's also a big thing. I work very hard on my recovery every day, and like anything else, some days are easier, while some can be more difficult. I see real and tangible benefits to my sobriety every day, and I feel like the universe is reinforcing how much better it is to be sober.

Anyway, I just wanted to share that with you all. Thanks!
Old 09-15-2013, 05:40 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I think that is a big thing. It's good to see the extra benefits from being sober. I don't get nervous driving in the mornings anymore. I avoided driving if Ithought I was still over the limit but you justdon't know
Old 09-15-2013, 05:50 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hell, I didn't even learn to drive for the same reason. I would never have been sober enough first thing in the morning. I think it's a massive thing. They seem little and mundane to people who take things like driving sober for granted but it is these little moments which make us realise how much easier sober living is x
Old 09-15-2013, 06:08 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It is all those little things that really do make a huge difference. Being aware, and alert, and feeling and all of it. we were numb and tired and whatever. Sobriety brings so much clarity to everyday experiences we were missing.

Good score on the parking spot!
Old 09-15-2013, 06:40 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Realising my life

Originally Posted by rochele View Post
It is all those little things that really do make a huge difference. Being aware, and alert, and feeling and all of it. we were numb and tired and whatever. Sobriety brings so much clarity to everyday experiences we were missing.
Yes!! And every day something else happens just to reinforce this!
Old 09-15-2013, 06:44 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by hypochondriac View Post
Hell, I didn't even learn to drive for the same reason. I would never have been sober enough first thing in the morning. I think it's a massive thing. They seem little and mundane to people who take things like driving sober for granted but it is these little moments which make us realise how much easier sober living is x
I was the same - cancelled countless lessons either so I could have a drink that night or because I wasn't fit to drive. Daft!