Notices

Don't know what to do

Old 09-14-2013, 11:45 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
HJW

Don't know what to do

I don't really know where to start ... I got back with my partner in February, after a 10 month split. We split because I had basically had enough if his escalated drinking. It culminated in his being arrested outside the house for drink driving (witnessed by our, then 8 year old daughter). This was his 3rd drink driving conviction. He was very lucky to just get a 3 yr reduced ban and a fine. (He got his licence back in may this year) .... Anyway .... Long story short, he's been sober since last November , but has recently been drinking again. Albeit nowhere near the amount he used to, but the last 3 weekends he has wanted a drink. 1st weekend was a half bottle of southern comfort. I went mental at him. 2nd weekend was 4 cans of red stripe. I had a bottle of wine he bought me (didn't finish it). No idea how much he has had today. He went to the pub nearly 4 hours ago. I also know that he has been hiding drink in the garage like he used to. This scares me as I see old habits returning.

I really don't know what to do. I have been so very proud of his recovery so far. I just feel so let down by his recent actions.
Old 09-14-2013, 11:56 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

So sorry HJW. You've found a wonderful source of information and support here. You will also find plenty of help on the Friends and Family page. Stay strong. Probably best for now to avoid drinking at all and keep no alcohol in the house. Keep posting, and welcome!
Old 09-14-2013, 11:57 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi HJW and welcome to SR.

I'm so sorry to hear of your situation, it does sound like your partner is back to his usual drinking habits.

I'm not sure there is anything you can do to stop this from happening. You need to take care of yourself and your daughter first and foremost. Are you getting any support? Do you go to al-anon for example?

We have a wealth of experience on our 'friends and family' forum. Check it out.

Good to have you with us x
Old 09-14-2013, 02:59 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Sorry to read about your situation HJW. As you probably are well aware the only person who can decide he should stop is himself. All you can do its support him if you feel able and look after yourself and your little one. Struggling on a day to day basis with the problem while he is actively drinking will just wear you out if you battle it head on as it were.

Al Anon is one option as it specifically for those close to/living with people with drinking issues. Here's a link to their meetings - including Scotland.

http://www.al-anonuk.org.uk/meetings/

All the best to you.
Old 09-14-2013, 03:17 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope you can find some support for yourself.
Old 09-14-2013, 07:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

We have a forum for friends and family of alcoholics. Give it a look for additional insight from those who have been in your shoes.

Friends and Family of Alcoholics - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information