Notices

Help me want to stop Alcohol

Old 09-13-2013, 08:01 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Help me want to stop Alcohol

Hi I am BLK from India. I clearly know that I am exceeding the limits by having 360ML of vodka everyday and it's reaching 720ML on weekends... I strongly decided to stop it from today, just had 40mg of Librium and waiting to face the withdrawals..... Please help me to come out of this ****.
Old 09-13-2013, 08:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You are among kindred spirits here blk123. Welcome. Since you desire to remove something that has had such impact on your everyday life, please be prepared to fill your time differently. I know for me...I desired what sobriety has to offer...which is well, everything.
Old 09-13-2013, 08:24 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi BLK, welcome! I am glad you are here, there is a lot of support and information 24/7.
Old 09-13-2013, 11:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

to SR! I'm glad you found us and joined the family. You'll find a lot of support here.
Old 09-13-2013, 11:51 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi BLK...Glad you have the librium to help you through withdrawals. Congratulations on making this very positive change in your life. For an alcoholic, quitting drinking is like resigning from a job that you once loved but has become an all consuming pain in the a**. You probably hung on too long, waiting to see if things would go back to the enjoyable early days you had drinking. We all wished for that, but like you, came to realize that those days were gone forever. All that was left was sickness, loneliness and despair. Glad you're stepping back out into the sunlight!
Old 09-14-2013, 01:07 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome and good luck! Stay close!
Old 09-14-2013, 02:26 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Recognizes the Beast

Addiction is a disorder of the brain part which regulates pleasure. Once we get addicted we believe, and indeed the only way dopamine gets released in our brain, that the only way to achieve pleasure is through drinking or using.

But you don't have to live like that. You can feel pleasure again in sobriety, as difficult as may be to believe. I know when I was drinking, I thought a life without alcohol would be boring, dull and full of drudgery. And unimaginable. Nothing could be farther than the truth. Sobriety is full of color and vibrancy, ups and downs, including moments of overwhelming joy and gratefulness.

Anybody can get sober if they truly want to and have the right support around them. Make sure that support is in place and go out and do it! Keep checking in here as well, this place offers heaps of all that.
Old 09-14-2013, 09:43 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the support, 2nd day still anxiety... Lot of gas, mild sweating and heart burn... Just had a multivitamin tab and rantac.... Hope the symptoms subside by evening.
Old 09-14-2013, 11:15 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

The thing that did it for me (and I'm only at 2 weeks), was something I heard on a podcast. Basically the guy said that addicts are afraid of a few weeks of feeling like crap to feel great again. Something about that hit home for me, so I put the bottle down. And yes, only 2 weeks better I do feel great.
Old 09-14-2013, 11:24 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hang in the Blk...so glad you are with us.
Old 09-14-2013, 11:27 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by loyalty View Post
The thing that did it for me (and I'm only at 2 weeks), was something I heard on a podcast. Basically the guy said that addicts are afraid of a few weeks of feeling like crap to feel great again. Something about that hit home for me, so I put the bottle down. And yes, only 2 weeks better I do feel great.
I love that!
Old 09-15-2013, 12:28 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Surprised to see so many people are there like me.... I use to hate myself for boozing a lot... I happy there is a support now....
Old 09-15-2013, 01:03 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Good going BLK. Initial few days will feel like hell but it is worth. Don't hesitate to visit your Physician if withdrawals symptoms get worst. He will be in a best position to take you through safe detox. Wishing you all the best.
Old 09-15-2013, 01:19 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Good going BLK. Nice to see you making all the right moves!
Old 09-15-2013, 01:10 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Yesterday eve went for a movie and in between I had a severe panic attack, thought it was heart attack for a while..... Took few deep breaths and got settled down in half hour... Is this common or really related to heart?
Old 09-15-2013, 03:18 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome BLK

while anxiety and even panic attacks are common, none of us are doctors, and we can't diagnose you here

I think ti's a good idea to see a Dr when you're in detox anyway, but if you have even the slightest concern about your heart or general health, go see your Dr

D