Notices

what's the thing

Old 09-14-2013, 05:38 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Thank you, all - it's just so good to hear everyone's experiences. I have been to AA, I read the blue book when I was a kid (my dad was in AA), and twice before I ever stepped into a meeting. I really like the concepts of AA and am a spiritual person, so my challenge is just to find meetings I can attend with my schedule as a single mom.

I ask God for help every day. Sometimes in every moment as I'm driving home (past liquor stores, etc.) to just keep me away. The desire to drink is still super strong, so I am putting faith in the "fake it until you make it" concept until it becomes easier.

Thank you all again .
Old 09-14-2013, 05:47 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
~sb

working those 12 steps
riding the ride of early sobriety
learning balance
learning to be in the now
using all of the tools
continuing to use everything I can to grow emotionally
Old 09-14-2013, 05:59 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

wow @Johnny152, you are an inspiration. I never had the feeling that I would die, but I've certainly had the feeling that I didn't want to keep living the way I was.
Old 09-14-2013, 10:33 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lala34mc View Post
I ask God for help every day. Sometimes in every moment as I'm driving home (past liquor stores, etc.) to just keep me away. The desire to drink is still super strong, so I am putting faith in the "fake it until you make it" concept until it becomes easier.
You remind me of me - yes, the stores: I say "Johnny, there ain't enough in that store for you! If you took it all home, it'd be gone in no time. There ain't enough and what there is ain't for you."

Keep on keeping on! Check with the recovery clubs in your area to see if there are Parent's Meetings - these are meetings where the parents come to the club, one or two agree to watch the kids while the others have a meeting. Everyone takes a turn. If not, starting a meeting like that isn't hard to do - the club managers can help!!
Old 09-14-2013, 10:46 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

'The thing' for me was diversion and absorption in a project. Instead of dedicating to alcohol I switched to study. Followed my (dormant) passion and studied.
And like Sugar, above, learning to be in the now.