Notices

I'm New here and just started today

Old 09-12-2013, 04:02 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm New here and just started today

I'm new here and hoping to stop drinking altogether. I first started drinking heavily about 16 years ago. Began as a weekend thing, then ended up being a daily use. I've suffered with anxiety for years (off and on), and noticed that sometimes alcohol will and can make it worse. At one point, I was drinking up to 16 beers a day...over the past 1 1/2 years, I've tapered to about 8 beers a day. I usually do pretty good while I'm at work and it's about an 18 hour span between my drinking. I don't have any health insurance, so going to the doctor is not an option for me. I'm weening myself off of this stuff on a slow pace because I'm scared to death to go into convulsions or something. Anyway, I just thought that I'd introduce myself. I'm off work today, so this would be my dangerous day to try to keep my mind on anything else besides grabbing a beer. Any tips would be great. thanks
Old 09-12-2013, 04:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey there. Welcome to SR. My advice to you would be to hang out on here for as long as you need in order to not drink. We all have been there. You can do this.
Old 09-12-2013, 04:08 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks Mizzuno, I appreciate it. I'm sitting here sweating..lol. I think it's normal starting to sweat when I want a drink.
Old 09-12-2013, 04:14 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome Itsjustanother,
I come to SR daily to read and post. it's helped me stay happy and sober for well over 2 years. Early in sobriety I was so worried about relapsing and would listen to anything that was anti alcohol and constructive.
This is a great decision you have made, our reliance on alcohol is not normal as I once thought. I don't need alcohol to get me through "life". Alcohol held me back and added to my anxiety and low self esteem.
Keep reading and posting.
All the best
CaiHong
Old 09-12-2013, 04:14 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi its, welcome. I also weened down to lessen the severity of withdrawals. I tapered for 30 days. I'm sober over 3 years. It did work for me. I also am prone to anxiety. The beer definitely made it worse, I now know. I suggest a technique called urge surfing. Google it. You came to the right place. P.S. I think the sweating is good. It gets toxins out. And drink lots of water to help get them out also.
Old 09-12-2013, 04:22 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

itjust

hay there nice to meet you. hay good job on your 18th hour. it was difficult for me too. i think for me the best tips that worked was thinking how negative drinking can get me, prison, loss of work, no money, even homeless. also i had to find something to occupy my mind like a new hobby or activity. i took up reading, crossword puzzles, and did lots of yard and house work.
you say you do not have any health insurance and cannot go to a doctor. i can totally understand that. every one says go see your doctor, visit your doctor. i think they forget some people do not have insurance to do that. i was in that position also. as for me, i had to do my own research on condition related to alcoholism and i used web sites with good reputation such as web-md since i had no money or insurance to see a doctor, but that is medical capitalism in united states.
go to the chat room and join a good conversation, great people in there what will listen and give advice.
Old 09-12-2013, 04:26 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hang in there ItsJA,
This site is great but you might want to hit a few AA meetings. Just go and listen. You will hear your story and realize there are a lot of people like you and actually worse. I'm not a real joiner or group person but the AA people are really non judgemental. There might be an a$$h0le or two but ignore them, everyone else does.
Old 09-12-2013, 04:27 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by itsjustanother View Post
I'm new here and hoping to stop drinking altogether. I first started drinking heavily about 16 years ago. Began as a weekend thing, then ended up being a daily use. I've suffered with anxiety for years (off and on), and noticed that sometimes alcohol will and can make it worse. At one point, I was drinking up to 16 beers a day...over the past 1 1/2 years, I've tapered to about 8 beers a day. I usually do pretty good while I'm at work and it's about an 18 hour span between my drinking. I don't have any health insurance, so going to the doctor is not an option for me. I'm weening myself off of this stuff on a slow pace because I'm scared to death to go into convulsions or something. Anyway, I just thought that I'd introduce myself. I'm off work today, so this would be my dangerous day to try to keep my mind on anything else besides grabbing a beer. Any tips would be great. thanks
I was at 12-13 beers a day for decades, and like you I didn't drink during the day. No convulsions here. Biggest issue was trouble sleeping and of course the psychological problems of not having the crutch you relied on.
Old 09-12-2013, 04:35 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome and hang in there. Lots of water, taper, rest/sleep, positive self talk, SR. I journaled and it helps to look back at those first few days when my anxiety and fear of the unknown were really high.
Sobriety is awesome! You'll find your anxiety will lessen over time as your confidence increases. You're going to get to know yourself again. Embrace it and good luck to you!
Old 09-12-2013, 04:48 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I am at hour 23 sober and I can only say that going to a meeting really helped me. I drink a ton of water, taken my vitamins and didn't drink my calories. It's not easy but it's something better than yesterday. My motto is "just do the next right thing". And I am here at every free moment grasping more and more inspiration and hope for normalcy and not constant anxiety and fear.
Old 09-12-2013, 04:51 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Learning to LIve

HI itsjustanother

to SR.

I tapered from alcohol ... rehab etc was not an option I had a family to run.

Rest / sleep when you can. Get plenty of fresh air and mild exercise.

Come check out SR chat I LIVED there in the early days and nights.

Try and find yourself some sober support.

Goodluck
Old 09-12-2013, 04:56 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I'm struggling too.. was sober five days but having a drink now. Trying to realize I am in the contemplative phase and why I'm doing it. Hang in there.
Old 09-12-2013, 04:56 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I was an eight beer guy myself, too .. get off work and hit the liquor store on the way home, crack a beer when I got in the front door and drink until just before bed.

I quit drinking in late June and still here in September, feels good man. It can be done; it is an attainable goal. (I did fall off the wagon intermittently for a year, but sometimes that's what it takes)

Welcome to the forum!
Old 09-12-2013, 05:09 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome and I'm glad that you're planning to stop drinking.

We're here to offer support.
Old 09-12-2013, 06:11 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome itsjustanother! SR really worked miracles for me. It felt so good to know I didn't have to struggle alone. Glad you are here and wanting to begin a new life. You can do it.
Old 09-12-2013, 07:01 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thanks to all of you for your kind words and ideas.
Old 09-12-2013, 07:20 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by potatojuice View Post
Hang in there ItsJA,
This site is great but you might want to hit a few AA meetings. Just go and listen. You will hear your story and realize there are a lot of people like you and actually worse. I'm not a real joiner or group person but the AA people are really non judgemental. There might be an a$$h0le or two but ignore them, everyone else does.
I agree. Go to a meeting.

I detoxed at home, too. It's miserable. A meeting will help. AAs can't give you medical advice, but it's good to go to meetings and get phone numbers so you can call someone just in case your symptoms take a turn for the worse and you need somebody to check in on you.

Good luck! Keep coming back, you're doing great.
Old 09-12-2013, 07:32 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR! I'm on day 11 of sobriety. Before that, I was drinking about half a fifth a day (300-400 ml) on weeknights and sometimes an entire fifth both Saturday and Sunday. I was at this pace for almost a year before I came here and decided to quit once and for all. After a few failed attempts and relapses, I'm happy to say the cloud seems to be lifting. You can do it but it will take dedication and perseverance.

I had terrible night sweats the first two nights and moderate the third. I would wake up and my bed and sheets would be soaked and I was super thirsty. I couldn't sleep the first two nights from the anxiety and sweats and when I did sleep I had bad dreams. By day four things started to get easier and I could sleep with the use of a mild sleep aid. Near the end of the first week, I was able to sleep again normally and sweat free!

Now, halfway through my second week, I'm no longer sweaty all the time and I don't have to keep my AC at 70 degrees to avoid breaking into a sweat for no reason. My hand is more stable and, most of all, my head has started to clear. I'm getting back into my old hobbies and enjoy keeping busy and actually doing things sober!

I share this to hopefully serve as some inspiration for you as you begin your sober journey. Keep reading and keep posting here. We will be here to support you!
Old 09-13-2013, 04:47 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I got off of here last night and felt extremely tired and went to bed. Woke up this morning hearing ringing in my ears big time and sweaty hands and feet. I just drank some water and sitting here with blankets over me. I also feel a bit of nausea.
Old 09-13-2013, 04:52 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

It takes some time to get the toxins out of your body. Don't give up. It gets better. I'm on day 11 and I had your same symptoms my first couple of days.