Notices

Again. 🏇🏇🏇🏇🏇🏇🏇🏇

Old 09-13-2013, 10:25 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
EndGame

Originally Posted by Nuudawn View Post
Like Carl and Silentrun, I too winced a little at the "my horse, my rules, my willpower". Overcoming and transcending addiction is so much more than "just say no!". That being said, you are not a weak or bad person should you pick up that drink...but I would say you might be a little uninformed or ill prepared for what you are truly dealing with.

You can do this but you have to have a plan of action when cravings strike. You have to find a pause between craving and pouring that drink. Have you posted here before pouring? Have you found that pause to ask yourself a few questions like "okay..what's going here..why am I craving?". Am I Hungry, Angry, Lonely, Tired?.

Learn to be much more inquisitive of yourself and your actions. Don't judge..wonder!
Excellent.
Old 09-13-2013, 10:49 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Alef - no sneaking here. When I told him I wanted a drink, he started to question me...my AV came out full force on him. We drank together. Yes I called my person from Celebrate Recovery....after I was drunk 😡
James - I start obsessing.
NuuDawn - ok good advice. I'll take it
Mentium - I did not mean to be negative about AA. I just prefer a program rooted in my faith.
Old 09-13-2013, 10:51 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Raider View Post
Alef - no sneaking here. When I told him I wanted a drink, he started to question me...my AV came out full force on him. We drank together. Yes I called my person from Celebrate Recovery....after I was drunk 😡
Mentium - I did not mean to be negative about AA. I just prefer a program rooted in my faith.

All well and good, as long as it works? No criticism of your beliefs intended of course.
Old 09-13-2013, 10:56 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Raider:

I don't use AA and I'm not a person of a particular faith either. I'm not saying that to somehow insinuate that either one is good or bad, but more so that anyone can make a plan to be sober, regardless of their beliefs towards any recovery method or belief system. But you do have to have some kind of plan other than just "not drinking". For me that plan involves SR, my family, and just daily common sense reminders of why I don't drink and what will happen if I do drink again. I have accepted that I cannot drink normally, which was the biggest hurdle. It took me many "moderation" attepmps or "slips" or whatever we want to call them.
Old 09-13-2013, 10:57 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Obsessing about what? And how? How does the obsessing start? And how does it eventually lead to drinking?
Old 09-13-2013, 11:00 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nuudawn View Post
You can do this but you have to have a plan of action when cravings strike.
Raider, this is so important. Just start with today. Can you ask your husband not to drink in the house anymore?
Old 09-13-2013, 11:02 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Is it possible that my four flops had no trigger? I have thought about this. I have figured some triggers outs. Hunger, tiredness, irritation, boredom, frustration... None of these occurred last night.
Old 09-13-2013, 11:06 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Thank you Scott and Kadidee.

James a thought comes in my head about drinking. The harder I not to think about it, the more I think about it. Until finally, I just do it.
Am I the only who does that?
Old 09-13-2013, 11:08 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Is it possible that my four flops had no trigger?
This is why willpower isn't enough!

I needed the support of my wife and AA.

My wife keeps booze out of the house.

AA gives me a phone list I can use before I drink.
Old 09-13-2013, 11:09 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

The harder I not to think about it, the more I think about it. Until finally, I just do it.
I can't speak for everyone, but i know I did that, and i'm willing to bet a lot of others did too.

It's all the more reason to have some kind of plan in place. If all you do is just "not drink", you'll either think about drinking or follow some other routine that you always did that inevetably led to drinking.
Old 09-13-2013, 11:11 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

It is called 'powerlessness'. It is a sad but true fact that most of us here have little power over alcohol - those who are drinking but 'don't want to' clearly for the moment have none at all. That's why it is such bloody hard work to quit the damned stuff!
Old 09-13-2013, 11:12 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

have you tried urge surfing when the thoughts of drinking first hit? I know what you mean.The thoughts were so strong the only way I thoughtto get rid of them was to drink.But it isn't the only way. You can get through the thoughts and cravings

Have you read Rational Recovery - AVRT? It teaches you how to deal with the thoughts, recognize them for what they are and deal with them.
Old 09-13-2013, 11:13 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

The harder I not to think about it, the more I think about it.
Yes, I know what you mean. Thinking about NOT drinking is exhausting. You have to get busy doing something to occupy your mind. Get out of the house. Run a random errand. Go to the library and read all the titles of the books on the shelves about a subject you've never heard of, etc. But Raider, you're not going to obsess forever. Just get through one day at a time.
Old 09-13-2013, 11:20 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one. Yes read RR. I understand. I will change it up. Thanks for the advice. I will use it.
Old 09-13-2013, 11:26 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

James a thought comes in my head about drinking. The harder I not to think about it, the more I think about it. Until finally, I just do it.
You're not the only one who does that. I've heard about it more often.

So if you went back to the moment that the thought comes in your head about drinking, what could you think instead that is useful?
Old 09-13-2013, 11:34 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

How many hours a night did u spend drinking roughly? Or a day whenever you did it?
Old 09-13-2013, 11:34 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Is it possible that my four flops had no trigger? I have thought about this. I have figured some triggers outs. Hunger, tiredness, irritation, boredom, frustration... None of these occurred last night.
the fact there was drink in the house?
Old 09-13-2013, 11:48 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

If I may - It seems that you already accept some of the basics of AA. The first few steps, summed up, say I can't, He can, I'll let him. From there you take honest stock of yourself -get down to the causes and conditions of drinking. Then you go and surrender your defects of character to God. That's the first 7 steps in a nutshell. The next five are about amending your relationships that have become damaged in the past and living in a way that doesn't lead to any more damage, becoming a more spiritual person.

You say you want a program rooted in your beliefs. It sounds like you believe in God. God is stated over 300 times in the AA book and 7 times in the 12 steps. God is said at every meeting, once at the beginning and once at the end, as well as many times in the middle.

Yes, AA stresses that there is no one set God. That we do not force a certain belief on any person. And that is true. It would be seen as intolerant and narrow minded if it were not true. To me it sounds like you want what AA has to offer, but you don't want AA. So perhaps give it a try? Go to a few meetings, see if you like what you get out of it
Old 09-13-2013, 11:52 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Are you seeing a therapist? A therapist might be able to help you to actually identify what your triggers are and help you formulate a plan to survive them.
Old 09-13-2013, 11:54 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Yes, last Saturday. Friday, I was going mad with cravings, and I got through it. Saturday, it was a good day. I went to soccer to watch my son, came home, got a bunch done around the house, was feeling good. Thoughts of a nice glass of wine kept entering my thoughts, like a reflex. I just decided one night would be fine, just a couple of glasses. and I went and bought wine. It was not even in the house. I did not give myself a moment to pause and question it. I did what was familiar and habit. And I failed, and had a beer, whole bottle of white, and a glass of red after that.

And then, I had all the crappy feelings that reminded me why I did not want to do that. I don't know why we do it. Brain fart, I guess.

But I am not doing it this weekend, because I don't drink.