Notices

Day 29 enjoying sobriety (kinda)

Old 09-12-2013, 09:51 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 29 enjoying sobriety (kinda)

I've made it to day 29 and can say I'm very proud of myself considering I cannot remember before my sobriety one night/day that I didn't drink. My foggy head has almost cleared up and in feeling great for the most part. Some of the other things that are happening with my sobriety I'm not so happy with. My biggest issue I feel that in facing is a have kind of turned into an impatient, deal with no ones bs total bitch! And I'm not enjoying it. When I was drinking I would start drinking early afternoon until whenever pass out time was, wake up, and go in with my productive day. most of the time I was either still drunk from the night before, or seriously hungover. My hangovers though, we're always different than anyone else's I've ever met, it sounds sick but I ACTUALLY enjoyed them. I never suffered headaches, or pain, just pretty pure foggy happy bliss ( much like my drunken state which I sure was the happiest drunk you would ever meet)which in turn, made me the most pleasant person to be around. Minus the 8 bottles of wine the night before smell I'm sure I consistently sported. Since I've stopped drinking, so many wonderful things have happened. It just feels like things are going right in my life for once. Except this new personality that's made an unwelcome appearance. Has anyone else noticed this happened to them early in recovery? Is it just part of it until you truly find your balance? I deff don't miss the lying, deceiving, manipulative alcoholic I had become, but part of me misses a few other parts, deff not enough to go back though.
Old 09-12-2013, 10:07 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome to SR.

I can relate to the happy drunk bit, I was like that for a long time, but as my alcoholism progressed I became someone I didn't like. Over emotional, unreasonable, reckless and deceitful. Thing is, even when I was a happy drunk, I'm sure I wasn't as much fun as I thought I was...you've only got to look at drunks through sober eyes to see how plain annoying most of us are!

There is a point for most of us I think when we look back with rose coloured glasses at how things were. Early sobriety is tough, mood swings are completely normal.

Give it time, you can be that chilled out happy person you want to be x
Old 09-12-2013, 10:10 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Learning to LIve

Rb
This was me at 17 days

"I just have zip motivation at work..which is really unusual for me....managed to get through the evening without snapping at the kids and making them cry...and I couldn't get SR which made me even more irritable..all good now"

Try and be patient with yourself ... try and get as much rest as possible , fresh air and some regular exercise ... mood swings are common for many in early sobriety .... chin up and congratulations on 29 days sober
Old 09-13-2013, 05:20 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I thought I had it nailed at 29 days and struggled around 6 weeks... but pulled through... good on you for making the effort, your life is worth it. it will go from enjoying sobriety kinda... to loving sobriety definately
Old 09-13-2013, 05:35 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

yep. i can relate.

when we first get sober, we are dealing with the huge loss of our friend, albeit crappy friend, mr. booze. who was with us in the good times and bad, when the world had turned their back on us, at our birthday parties, and celebrations, and at times of loss and sorrow.

so - it takes time to get through that loss, as sick as it was...
Old 09-13-2013, 05:39 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I totally agree - I have no patience for other people.

Congrats to you! Keep it up, you'll learn to mellow out in other ways
Old 09-13-2013, 06:29 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Its a cold and its a broken hallelujah.

RB - Im thinking if you really drank *8* bottles of wine a day you never actually HAD a hangover - you were bombed/borderline comatose.

I'm so glad you are doing well !
Old 09-13-2013, 07:02 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome congrats!
Old 09-13-2013, 08:20 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'll just be alot happier when its all over. I thought I had it bad with all the constant carb cravings, breakouts on my skin from the alcohol leaving and now this. Alpha, the last 3 months leading up to my sobriety I pretty much was blasted the whole time, I did however move to the cheaper route of two boxes of wine a night which each housed 4 bottles. Just keepin' it classy ya know.
Old 09-13-2013, 08:32 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
jkb

Hi RB
I was not a happy drunk at the end so I cant relate to that but, I can say at 30 days sober I was so not happy .

I only have 6 months sober now but, I am noticing that I am beginning to have good days more and more often. It is worth it and I am so glad your hanging in there.

It sounds like you were ok with yourself drunk... just wait till you see how amazing you are sober.

Jess
Old 09-13-2013, 08:35 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi Rbxx, congratulations on your sobertime. It gets easier. Keep going. I found hard, physical exercise to help with the nervous energy. Explore meditation and relaxation techniques. Great job.
Old 09-13-2013, 09:11 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Velveteen Rabbit

Anger is one of the emotions that protects us from pain. Sometimes it's a defense mechanism. It feels better and more powerful than the other emotion of...what word am I looking for....vulnerability.

My temper is short too....which is unusual because I'm a mouse of personality otherwise. I'm only 11 days sober though ~ sounds like I'm in for a doozy in a couple of weeks!

Glad you're doing good otherwise!