Notices

Sober and went to doctor

Old 09-13-2013, 07:44 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Acheleus View Post
But school makes me realize how much better everyone else is and how much I suck and hate myself.
You don't suck and you shouldn't ever ever talk yourself down!

Try this - picture your absolute favourite person in the world is beside you all day - watching you and everything you say and do. How would you want to come across to them? Confident, capable, kind? Maybe to name just a few.

Self confidence isn't always a natural thing - you may see people acting confident but I can guarantee you that at least half of these people have to 'put the game face on' if you understand me? Even if inside you are full of doubt - pretend - walk the walk and talk the talk - in time it will become natural to you.

Just supposing - supposing you do suck - pretend your someone else - act like someone who doesn't suck
Old 09-13-2013, 08:04 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Every Mother's Worst Nightmare

Mate

There's oodles of positivity in what you're doing. Don't let that obviously very smart brain convince you otherwise. You are where you are because you have every right to be there. And obviously other people recognize that even if you yourself have a hard time believing it.

Just for today, tell yourself that we're not at home to Mr. Negative Man.
Old 09-13-2013, 08:05 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Hi Acheleus, that is great that you went to the doctor. Good job friend.
Old 09-13-2013, 08:06 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Yea I have to work on myself.
Old 09-13-2013, 08:24 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Yea I have to work on myself.
You don't 'have' to do anything but it will make your life so much easier. I think in your case that you are your own worst critic. You don't need to be so unkind to yourself. There's no gain from it. It's only impacting you in a negative way.
Old 09-13-2013, 08:28 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Another thing to remember is that part of seeming so smart is that these folks often simply have oodles more experience in the subject matter. Try to embrace the experience of dealing with these people, rather than fear it. Yeah, some of them may be jerks, I've dealt with my share of academic snobbishness, but they aren't all that way, and sometimes it just takes a bit more interaction to break through that upper crust.
Old 09-13-2013, 10:01 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

But school makes me realize how much better everyone else is and how much I suck and hate myself.
What to you makes a person a worthwhile and valuable human?
Old 09-13-2013, 01:27 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Comparing ourselves to others is a game we can never win. There will always be someone smarter, someone funnier, someone better looking, someone wealthier, someone taller, wittier or more charismatic. I could go on and on.

We have to accept ourselves for who we are. That doesn't mean we can't change in many ways, but we should do so for ourselves and because we want to grow--not because we feel we are defective or lacking in some way.
Old 09-13-2013, 01:59 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

OK just finished class and having cereal. The meds do make me calmer, and the doctor said to call him today so I will talk to him in a few minutes. I do like myself, I just feel bad about myself when I drink, so as long as I don't drink I like myself and feel proud of my self-discipline, etc. But this weekend I am staying in and reading, studying, and I will go swim at the lake tomorrow. Thanks guys, I am getting there, and I do believe I can turn these negative thoughts in my head into positive motivation to get better. This is really all from just getting dumped and then being unhappy in my school, but I don't have to have school be my whole life. I feel so good being sober and thank you all for the advice and support. I will be posting a lot this weekend.
Old 09-13-2013, 02:04 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

OK just finished class and having cereal. The meds do make me calmer, and the doctor said to call him today so I will talk to him in a few minutes. I do like myself, I just feel bad about myself when I drink, so as long as I don't drink I like myself and feel proud of my self-discipline, etc. But this weekend I am staying in and reading, studying, and I will go swim at the lake tomorrow. Thanks guys, I am getting there, and I do believe I can turn these negative thoughts in my head into positive motivation to get better. This is really all from just getting dumped and then being unhappy in my school, but I don't have to have school be my whole life. I feel so good being sober and thank you all for the advice and support. I will be posting a lot this weekend.
This is a wonderful Post Ach. Great news on all fronts. I'd suggest bookmarking this too so you can come back and see that you CAN do all the things you are doing now, just as you are. Bravo, congratulations and enjoy your weekend.
Old 09-13-2013, 02:13 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Thanks so much for your support over the past months Scott. I hope you have a great weekend.
Old 09-13-2013, 02:17 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Acheleus, gotta get over them feelings, you are just as good as anybody else. Rootin for ya.
Old 09-13-2013, 02:25 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Love this! Remember this feeling - it will happen more and more as you progress
Old 09-13-2013, 04:57 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

I am soooooo tired even though I slept a long time yesterday. I think I will take a walk in a little while then go to bed. The itch to drink always comes over me on a friday night alone. Nothing good will come of me drinking. I always want to go out to find a woman but I get too drink and I look pathetic bar hopping alone. Plus it is too expensive. I wonder why I am so tired?
Old 09-13-2013, 07:28 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Your probably more mentally tired - you've been doing a lot of thinking and your brain probably just needs to rest a while and escape the stress.

I hope you feel better soon. Have a sleep if you feel it will help. Your doing really well!
Old 09-13-2013, 07:31 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Went for a long walk and now eating. Going to bed soon. I didn't go drink and I feel proud of myself!
Old 09-13-2013, 07:36 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

That's really good progress - well done. I've woke up at 3am totally annoying lol I hope you rest well and hopefully you will wake up refreshed and ready to do battle again every day you will get stronger and you will grow in confidence the longer you maintain this. It won't always be daily war lol maybe just like daily disagreement after a while. You can do this
Old 09-13-2013, 07:55 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Thank you. I find that my appetite is really out of control, but as long as I keep exercising I should be okay. It's only 11 here, but I want to try and get up early in the morning. I am glad I have the next two days off to get some things done. It's so nice to have all day tomorrow to do stuff, and not waste it recovering from the night before.