Notices

Took the next step

Old 09-12-2013, 07:58 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Took the next step

Hi all,

Quick background:

I was always fine in life. No real problems, doing well. Then something bad happened to me and reality became scary. Never thought of getting help for it.

Unrelated to this I read that a certain amount of alcohol has health benefits. I never drank much before and never had a problem with it. I started to drink the recommended amount every once in a while.

Quickly I noticed that it made reality not so scary. I started drinking more and eventually ended up drinking 2-3 bottles of wine each evening for years.

This never would have happened without the underlying problem being there.

At one point I decided to quit. It got out of hand, and then even more, and more, and life became terrible and real dark. I got to a breaking point and decided to get sober. I'm on Day 29 right now and have gotten to a point where I know that I will never drink again.

Got my health checked out, I'm healthy except for a fatty liver which is reversible if I keep living healthy like I do now.

Btw, my focus has expanded from sobriety to making each and every part of my life right. I'm aiming to move more and more into a life that is great in all aspects of it.

Anyway, now I need help with the underlying emotional issues. Fortunately they have gotten less bad over time, but still need to be dealt with.

So today I made an appointment with my doctor for this and fortunately they had an opening today. About an hour ago I talked to my doc about all this and he referred me to the Center of Psychiatry that's in the hospital across the street. I made an appointment there. I have a first appointment in 2 weeks. During that conversation we're going to look at what's going on and what I need for all my problems. Including help with alcoholism should it become a problem.

From there on I will be referred to the proper treatment and therapist(s).

I think that will be a truly new beginning and I'm very excited about it. From now on I will live the life I want!

Just wanted to share.

J.
Old 09-12-2013, 08:01 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

hey james,
so great to read such positive progess, keep working on it and telling us, ill bet your story will really help someone .
L x
Old 09-12-2013, 08:07 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Well done on taking your life back
Old 09-12-2013, 08:17 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

James, you seem to be really proactive with your recovery. I think that is so important. Wishing you the best.
Old 09-12-2013, 08:34 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

That is a very inspiring post. You have taken control of your life. Congratulations!!!
Old 09-12-2013, 08:48 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

James, good for you for taking action and facing your demons. I know it will be hard to do but it will be worth it. For many of us, alcoholism is a symptom of deeper wounds that need to be healed.