Notices

Scared

Old 09-12-2013, 06:27 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Scared

I'm new to this site and am scared to go sober. I've tried a few times and am working to start again. I've beat myself up enough. My wife is supportive and I want to be sober but am scared of being bored.

A lot to work on. One step at a time.
Old 09-12-2013, 06:31 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

welcome aboard lakeman, what is your plan to give up, I know being bored is a big trigger for a lot of us to drink, I had to change my evening routine, completely, its good you have support, read and post as much as you need too, esp in the early days x
Old 09-12-2013, 06:55 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

to SR! I was afraid of being bored not drinking too. But now I find that I can be bored sober and not go crazy. I hope we can help you stop drinking.
Old 09-12-2013, 07:04 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Lakeman just think about the bad times you had drinking. Thats how I motivate myself not to drink. You might even encounter a new hobby from not drinking. Best of luck
Old 09-12-2013, 07:08 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

used to feel the same way.

then i realized that there are plenty of very interesting things in life, that keep you from being bored.
going for a walk? or run? exercise? (i used to dread doing those things). now that there is time for that and work, etc. all of a sudden it is not so bad at all.

boredom never killed anyone, alcohol has.
Old 09-12-2013, 07:23 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Many of us have felt the same way, but you will be surprised how your life changes in a good way when you are sober.
Old 09-12-2013, 11:06 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
totfit

Drunkeness has to be the most boring thing there is. One just doesn't realized how boring they are and the drunken life. Reality is open to as many possibilities as one would like to make.
Old 09-12-2013, 11:21 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

We were all afraid to get sober Lakeman. I was especially so as drinking to me was just a part of life that went with everything I ever knew. Even before I started drinking i remember all the adults in my family drank at every occasion, party, my dad always drank beer after work.

But after the initial hardhips of withdrawal, I realized that drinking was actuallly taking away from my enjoyment of just about everything I did. There is a whole world out there that you've been missing out on. Not to mention all the bad stuff that goes away when you quit.

You should really be a lot more scared of what will eventually happen to you and those around you if you don't stop drinking.
Old 09-12-2013, 11:30 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR.

I was scared too. I had no idea how my life would look sober, I'd drunk all my adult life. But my life has literally been transformed and things are so much better.

Best wishes to you.
Old 09-12-2013, 11:35 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'm exactly where you are at right now LM. Poured vodka down the drain this morning and now I'm bored as well. I will stay on here for awhile for the great advise I get from others. Stick around and it will help you through the boredom of the day. We have to start somewhere.
Old 09-12-2013, 11:42 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Saved by Grace

Something simple that has helped me was the advice to "do something different". I'm only on day three but just thinking about "doing something different" seems to help. If you don't have God in your life; find Him. The Bible and prayer are a wonderful distraction.

Dono
Old 09-12-2013, 12:09 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Yknow if I'm honest 'boredom' is an excuse just like 'stress' 'sadness' 'celebrations' 'deaths' if your addicted to alcohol then your brains going to find some reason - however stupid it may be to rationalise having a drink. So yeah I'm sober. Do I still get bored? Yes! Stressed? Heck yes! Sad? A lot!

Point is if you want to drink you will. If you don't then you won't. Life will still happen round you and so will good and bad things - it's how you choose to deal with these that will shape your future. In a cruel to be kind sort of way - it's up to you! How comitied are you to not drink?
Old 09-12-2013, 12:16 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

On the scared side of things then I think we all understand that. I was sooooo scared the day I went to my doctor but do you know what was more scary than stopping? To me the thought of staying on the hell highway to nowhere day in day out - existing from drink to drink - always wracked with panic and guilt and felling sick and tired - that thought was the scariest. So scary to me intact that I contemplated if I couldn't stop this - if I couldn't be in charge and stop drinking then I was ready to end it. That's how scared I was of the existence I'd been in for years.
Old 09-12-2013, 12:32 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Lakeman. I'm scared too. I don't know who I am going to be, how I am going to be, or what I'm going to be. I don't know. This is day 2 for the third time. Good luck.
Old 09-12-2013, 12:50 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Saved by Grace

"I don't know who I am going to be, how I am going to be, or what I'm going to be"
I think that's the fear I've been trying to pin-point. I've been what I've been for so long.

Dono
Old 09-12-2013, 12:52 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Your going to be you only more reliable, responsible, awake... Your going to be better than you were drunk that's for sure.
Old 09-12-2013, 01:00 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Lakeman, I was scared too. But what finally made me decide to try to quit was the overwhelming hope that sober me had to be better than drunk me. And he is.
Old 09-12-2013, 01:12 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Me too Hypo. Me too
Old 09-12-2013, 01:25 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

You may just find out you will become what you've always been...YOU!
Just a lot more coherent.
Old 09-12-2013, 01:47 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

For me it was not the quitting that scared me, it was the thought of failure.

I tried nine years ago. I was sober 5 1/2 months and went back to drinking. I never returned. I never tried again. Facing that failure was to much. The split second I thought about it I would push it away. I was afraid it was to hard, it was to much work, I would miss all my friends, I would have no life.

Now here I am and I could not have been further from the real truth. Sobriety did not change my life, I got an entire new one.

I had forgotten about me for all those years. I am slowly coming back. I remember who I once was. The carefree person that loved trees and the sounds of the creek. I am back but better because now I am grateful for them.