Notices

Never passed out from drinking

Old 09-11-2013, 07:51 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Never passed out from drinking

I'm wondering if any of you share this phenomenon or if I'm the only one.
I am 50 years old and have been binge drinking since I was a teenager. I have gone on drinking sprees of up to 36 hours but have never passed out. In fact the drunker I got, the more hyperactive I became.
I could start at happy hour time, close down a bar, go home and drink more and clean the whole house and do chores and stuff - sometimes in a blackout. It was like waking up to find that fairies had magically cleaned the house sometimes.
With no exceptions I have always been the last of my drinking party awake, whether I liked it or not. I cannot count the times I have gone to work after an all nighter.
Once I do manage to slow down and sleep though, I would oversleep (12-15 hours a day) and be very inactive for the next few days as I recuperated. As a result of this wasted recuperation time I have missed out on a lot of opportunities to make more of my life in the grand scheme of things. Can anyone else relate?
Here on day 3 I am enjoying this opportunity to really examine my relationship to alcohol. Yesterday I again toyed with the idea that a beer would be good but put it off 10 minutes at a time until I ended up never having one. Plus I didn't want to have to come here and confess. Yay SR!
Old 09-11-2013, 08:06 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Good job on 3 days Jester. And good work putting of that urge to have a beer, it certainly creeps back up on you when you start feeling better.

I did a lot of stupid things when I was drinking, and I try not to dwell on any specifics of how much I drank or didn't drink,how many times I passed out or not, etc. It really doesn't matter - what does is that I realize the problem and i'm trying to make sure it doesn't happen again. I wish you the best of luck in doing the same!
Old 09-11-2013, 11:11 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congratulations on three days.
And, yes, I totaly relate. I never passed out from drinking. But I really relate to all the wasted time recuperating after a drunk. After two years eight months sober, it still bothers me. But, it's great not to have to worry about that anymore. Just don't take that first drink.
I could never have a few drinks, it was dunkward bound or nothing.

I wish you the best on your journey, and sobriety can be achevieved.
Old 09-11-2013, 11:19 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

to SR! I'm glad you've decided to quit drinking. Sober living rocks!