Notices

I Killed A Man... Confession of a Drunk Driver

Old 09-11-2013, 07:01 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I Killed A Man... Confession of a Drunk Driver

This video is amazing. The thought that this could have been me. The thought that it could have been any of us. I am amazed at this man's courage and his action.

"I killed a man." Matthew Cordle - YouTube

Today I am grateful that I am sober... going on 21 months... I am grateful that it didn't take me killing someone to understand and fully get control of my drinking.

Saliena
Old 09-11-2013, 07:07 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
MTD

Wow that was powerful. The thought that I could be in his shoes is mind boggling. Thanks for sharing. 29 days sober.
Old 09-11-2013, 07:49 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Wow wow wow wow my whole body was covered in chills eyes filled with tears. Sent that to everyone I know! Thank you for that link!
Old 09-11-2013, 07:56 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Wasn't there a similar story of (I think) an American footballer, who picked up an injury and drank to drown his sorrows, then jumped into his 4x4 had an accident that killed a father? He might not have been an American footballer, but certainly an American sportsman.

Afterwards he decided to run classes to bring awareness of drink driving and encourage others, mainly students, not to go down the same route.
Old 09-11-2013, 08:09 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Wow. I woke up June 3, 2013 after driving drunk..well, pretty much blacked out..the night before. It was not the first time. That morning I knew with every fibre of my being that if I did it one more time...I would kill someone...someone's spouse, parent, child, friend and sibling...and live to see what I had done...like this man has. That video gave me chills...especially when I noted the date. Thank you for sharing this. Wow. Thank you.
Old 09-11-2013, 08:11 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

very sad
Old 09-11-2013, 08:16 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

The guy I was relating to was a Soccer player, Matt Maher he wrote a book titled "I'm that guy" quite a moving and interesting but tragic story.
Old 09-11-2013, 10:39 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nuudawn View Post
Wow. I woke up June 3, 2013 after driving drunk..well, pretty much blacked out..the night before. It was not the first time. That morning I knew with every fibre of my being that if I did it one more time...I would kill someone...someone's spouse, parent, child, friend and sibling...and live to see what I had done...like this man has. That video gave me chills...especially when I noted the date. Thank you for sharing this. Wow. Thank you.
Wow, Nuu, I had the same thing. That overwhelming premonition that the "jig was up" so to speak. Not so much with drunk driving but just overall. A creepy, chilling certainty that the "next time" was going to be a game changer. And not in a good way at all.
Old 09-11-2013, 10:52 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Me too, Nuudawn and Ptcapote... Meeeeeee toooooooo.

Based on past behavior and watching how it escalated and how I justified horrendous and dangerous actions in the past..... It is terrifying to think what could happen if I ever drank again.

I have no interest in finding out. If anything, it strengthens my resolve. The farther and faster I get away from drinking, the better. I'm a monster when I drink. The thought of that monster has been very successful at quashing any AV that might pop up.

Drinking is no longer an option for me. I out drank the privilege of being a normal drinker long ago.

I'm grateful to be sober today, Day 9. I love you, sobriety.
Old 09-11-2013, 11:01 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

What a powerful video confession. Drunk driving statistics are shocking and terrifying, particularly to the alcoholic.

An average drunk driver has driven under the influence 80 times before his/her first arrest.

On average, one in three people will be in an accident that includes drunk driving in their lifetime.

Every day in America, another 27 people die as a result of drunk driving.

I think about the man who killed Angels rookie pitcher Nick Adenhart only hours after he took the mound in his first major league game. The woman who killed a friend from high school, Carole Moe, 20 years old, when she plowed into her as Carole pulled into her own driveway. The drunk woman was said to have laughed about the accident when being arrested. Dianne Schuler, who was driving under the influence and going the wrong way on a highway. The accident killed her, her three year old daughter, three of her young nieces and the three men in the car she hit. And of Moderation Management founder Audrey Kishline, who killed a man and his 12 year old daughter while driving drunk.

All I can say is " There but for the grace of God go I".
Old 09-11-2013, 11:08 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Never had a DUI, but I would certainly have been charged on more than one occasion had I been stopped.
A dear friend lost her infant child and husband in a split second when a drunk driver sped through a stop sign at a 'high rate of speed' as they like to say. The carnage was incredible and all three, daughter, husband and drunk, all died in that instant.

I have woven these two events into my sobriety, making the thought of ever drinking again a moral question. Am I willing to have just one drink, get drunk, drive, and bear responsibility for a tragedy like hers?

Not on my life.
Old 09-11-2013, 11:23 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

This guy just pled not guilty, enraging the judge.
Old 09-11-2013, 12:15 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by longbeachone View Post
What a powerful video confession. Drunk driving statistics are shocking and terrifying, particularly to the alcoholic.

An average drunk driver has driven under the influence 80 times before his/her first arrest.
That's terrifying if accurate (and I can believe it's accurate). Where did that stat come from?
Old 09-11-2013, 12:26 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

What a powerful video. Tragic
Old 09-11-2013, 12:27 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I saw this on TV a few weeks back and was amazed at his courage and stance on the whole situation. I haven't been following the story but he plead not guilty...WHAT?
Old 09-11-2013, 12:28 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Speaking from experience, I drove impaired to drunk at least a thousand times before I received my DUI.

I've also been pulled over drunk three other times and let go, either they let me drive or they made me park and walk or get a cab.

I wish I could say I stopped drunk driving after my DUI.

The only thing that got me to stop drunk driving is abstinence from alcohol.

In my DUI substance abuse classes, the teacher said that the actual arrest is the tip of the iceberg when it comes to how many times we've driven drunk and not been caught.
Also in some advanced alcohol training class I did in hospitality management about drunk driving liability, they said the same thing.
Old 09-11-2013, 12:29 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Matthew Cordle Hearing: Ohio Man Who Confessed To DUI In Video Enters Preliminary Not Guilty Plea

Welp I guess he changed his mind plead not guilty!
Old 09-11-2013, 12:29 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by Uninvited View Post
This guy just pled not guilty, enraging the judge.
From the Huffington Post:

The man, Matthew Cordle, entered a preliminary plea of not guilty Wednesday in a procedural move allowing a judge to be appointed to accept a guilty plea.

Attorneys for Cordle say he will plead guilty Sept. 18 to aggravated vehicular homicide to make good on his pledge to accept responsibility for the crash. His attorneys say they will decide later whether to seek Cordle's release on bond before sentencing to allow him to spread his anti-drunk-driving message.
Old 09-11-2013, 12:30 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Well one would think that after you receive a DWI or DUI (I did 3 years ago) that one would stop. I did stop drinking and driving, but I didn't stop me from drinking at home.
Old 09-11-2013, 01:20 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

It took me 3 DWIs and a judge appointed DUI class for me to get sober. Only by the grace of God did it truly stick and 21 months later I am happy and healthy...