Notices

I Killed A Man... Confession of a Drunk Driver

Old 09-11-2013, 01:37 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AllieB View Post
That's terrifying if accurate (and I can believe it's accurate). Where did that stat come from?
Mothers Against Drunk Drivers
Old 09-11-2013, 01:40 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=Uninvited;4174511]This guy just pled not guilty, enraging the judge.[/QUOT

I checked this out and couldn't find any info on it. Just that the grand jury was expected to indict him soon.
Old 09-11-2013, 01:55 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Matthew Cordle Hearing: Ohio Man Who Confessed To DUI In Video Enters Preliminary Not Guilty Plea
Old 09-11-2013, 02:02 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Administrator

Apparently, that's just a technicality, a strange one, but just a technicality:
Old 09-11-2013, 02:05 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I'm realizing that now. But seems odd approach when the "desired" plea is guilty.
Old 09-11-2013, 02:57 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I have a feeling that when he does plead guilty, the judge will not be as moved by this video confession as the public is. In fact, it makes a mockery and spectacle of the court. Judges are not fans of this kind of publicity. In all actuality, I assume the book will be thrown at him - maximum prison sentence, maximum fine, restitution, etc. as a result of his "public service announcement." The professionalism of this footage indicates that the group behind it may be seeking a profit from this tragedy.

A much better legal strategy would have been to simply turn himself in immediately rather than wait several months, and make a proper confession on the record with police. The idea that this video will stop drunk drivers is ludacris.

A terrible situation for all involved, yet a proper reminder to all who are in recovery about what potentially waits on the other end of a relapse.
Old 09-11-2013, 08:46 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Maybe he is actually sincere. Can we give the guy the benefit of the doubt? The not guilty plea was a procedural issue. He will plead guilty next week. Why must we be so cynical?
Old 09-11-2013, 08:49 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Hi Saliena, I was impressed with his integrity also. I suggest the youtube videos "Rain in My heart'. It is a series of 10. The girl on the 2nd or 3rd one could've been me for sure. Love and sobriety to you.
Old 09-12-2013, 12:13 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I don't doubt he's sincere. And I hope in prison he gets treatment. Because he still might drink and drive, even after this. Consequences don't always stop people who're bad off enough.

I feel so terrible for the family. They now have to go through all the publicity again. The judge will probably throw the book at him, and that's appropriate. He killed a man. Hopefully he can get treatment and salvage what remains of his life. And with luck maybe someone else will see this and think before they drive.
Old 09-12-2013, 12:44 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Hi Saliena, I'm watching World News Now. Matthew went to court and pled not guilty today. They said it was a legal maneuver. Now he's supposed to get another judge and plead guilty next time. ! I don't know what to think about it now.
Old 09-12-2013, 03:23 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

I don't understand the legal nuances of that state; I expect that when the time comes he'll enter a guilty plea. The judge may construe the video as an attempt to "game" the court; if so he'll probably get the book thrown at him. Presumably he knows this an understands it. His guilt is likely driving him to try to salvage some good from the horrible events.

Some of you may recall a fairly famous football player a couple years ago that was in similar situation. He was drunk (not blackout drunk but well over the limit) and fatally hit a guy with his Bentley. Seems the guy was crossing the street. The NFL guy wound up serving something like a month for manslaughter. There may have been some mitigating circumstances but that seemed pretty light a sentence for killing someone.

Sadly DUI/DWI isn't taken very seriously by most of the folks I know. Most of my coworkers have had a DUI at some point in their lives, some multiples. Some of them still drive drunk with the same excuses- I'm only a little over, I live 1/2 mile away, etc etc. Even when I was drinking hard I knew better than to drive when I'd been drinking but most of the guys I know don't see it that way.
Old 09-12-2013, 08:04 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Pleading not guilty at the preliminary hearing is pretty typical. I pled not guilty at my DUI hearing. It just continues the case for a bit, I pled guilty further down the road. Luckily for me I didn't hurt anyone and only got a reckless operation out of the deal.

But pleading not guilty at first, is pretty standard for almost any court case.