Notices

First Step

Old 09-11-2013, 06:38 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Sober since September 7, 2013

First Step

Hi,
I am new to all of this. As I am sure many have been. I am a single mother of a 4yr old and I have a drinking problem. Never have I actually admitted this. I use to say stuff like, well if alcohol is in my house then the problem is I have to drink it. I don't think I was in denial of this disease but I was truly blind to the fact I had it. I answered 12 questions about drinking and it stated if I answered 4 or more with a yes then that suggests a problem. Well I answered yes to all 12. I am excited about that. I have had people tell me that I had a problem with alcohol and of course no one wants someone else to tell them they have a problem. But when I started looking for myself and came across those questions and answered all with a yes, well it opened my eyes for myself. No one was telling me how to answer these, no one was in my ear telling me all the same things these questions were asking. So with my eyes open and my heart able to accept these things and my brain telling me it's ok to swallow that pride, I was finally able to admit to MYSELF, I am an alcoholic and no amount of alcohol is worth any amount of heart ache I cause for anyone else. Including myself.
With that being said I sure hope to chat with some people sometime. Trying to find someone to watch my child while I go to meetings is a huge issue, so hopefully here I will be able to log in and chat at times when I know I need to turn somewhere other than alcohol.
Old 09-11-2013, 06:55 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

HI,
welcome Aiden. You've made the right start admitting your problem. There are plenty of supporters here who will help you overcome it.
Old 09-11-2013, 06:59 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
AmandaUK

Hi Aiden... I'm new here too and already have found everyone to be so helpful and extremely supportive. Well done for being here and for getting to the place of knowledge and admission you're at today. Look forward to perhaps helping each other much love x
Old 09-11-2013, 07:25 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome Aiden - it's wonderful to have you join us.

Once I admitted my drinking was out of control I felt a huge sense of relief. I was like you - didn't want to face up to it - made all sorts of excuses & rationalizations. I didn't want to let go of it and tried everything to drink sensibly. Nothing worked. Quitting was the only safe thing to do - once it was in my system it led to danger & disaster.

We're so glad you're here with us - I think you'll find the friendship and support to be a huge help.
Old 09-11-2013, 07:38 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
quat

welcome aiden1226
this is a great first step. this site and the people here are very supportive and welcoming.
read, post,ask there are loads of great ideas on ending addictions, look through all the forums.
I am not a meetings person,but I have seen members talk about meetings on online and there are forums here that have what look like a high activity rate, perhaps nightly discussions, the chat rooms are fairly active too, though you may need a minimum amount of posts(not sure)
wish you well and hope to see you around
Old 09-11-2013, 11:36 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome, Aiden. I am glad you are here. Admitting you are an alcoholic is a big step. Deciding that you will drink no more is the next logical step. Once you have made that decision, you will find an incredible amount of support from the wonderful people here. I know that I did. Good luck. Stay close.
Old 09-11-2013, 03:54 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Aiden x
Old 09-11-2013, 06:12 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Aiden1226 View Post
Well I answered yes to all 12. I am excited about that.
I love this! Makes me smile Like you are ready to take on the world. The bigger the problem the stronger you are. No more waffling around in "maybe I have a problem" land.

Welcome!
Old 09-11-2013, 06:50 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AlefVavResh View Post
I love this! Makes me smile Like you are ready to take on the world. The bigger the problem the stronger you are. No more waffling around in "maybe I have a problem" land.

Welcome!
Thank you so much! Just today I was talking about being strong and I have always tried to be that person. But I realize that I actually have to accept the fact that I am weak when it comes to alcohol. I will grow stronger but I am satisfied accepting my weakness right now. Thank you so much again everyone here is so positive and I can't wait til I able to spend more time checking it all out and meeting people!
Old 09-11-2013, 06:55 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Amanda1 View Post
Hi Aiden... I'm new here too and already have found everyone to be so helpful and extremely supportive. Well done for being here and for getting to the place of knowledge and admission you're at today. Look forward to perhaps helping each other much love x
Hello Amanda, thank you for your support. We are both on a road than can only lead to better places. And I am sure we can help eachother on this journey. 💫🌟
Old 09-11-2013, 07:11 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Welcome, Aiden

Originally Posted by Aiden1226 View Post
Trying to find someone to watch my child while I go to meetings is a huge issue,
Some meetings provide child care, and I don't mind when someone brings kids to a meeting.
Old 09-11-2013, 07:29 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Aiden. I always get 14 on those tests because I make up extra questions. This is a good place to learn about getting sober and get some support when you can't get it elsewhere.
Old 09-11-2013, 07:46 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I actually admitted it only to myself a long time ago that I am an alcoholic. Only when I admitted it to family and friends back in July was when I actually did something about it. Have been sober 48 days now.

Welcome aboard and best wishes on your road to recovery! The support of the members on SR has been astronomical! Without SR, I would have relapsed.
Old 09-11-2013, 07:50 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
p***enger

Welcome, Aiden. SR is a great source of support and ideas to help you achieve and maintain sobriety.

How long has it been since your last drink? How are you feeling?
Old 09-12-2013, 06:50 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by courage2 View Post
Welcome, Aiden. SR is a great source of support and ideas to help you achieve and maintain sobriety.

How long has it been since your last drink? How are you feeling?
Thank you Courage, my last drink was Saturday September 7, 2013. My son was gone to his dads and I was watching the football game with my boyfriend when one drink turned into more and then the blackout and things got out of hand. This happens everytime. I think I can control it and just drink a bit but that never happens. Just talking about it makes me so ashamed but I will/can be stronger than liquid in a container.