Notices

I just had a seizure....scared do I go to hospital

Old 09-11-2013, 08:31 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by MN81713 View Post
I just turned 40, going back to college to get my masters....just graduated in June with my sign language degree...things were going well, however, was still drinking when I could get a day in...I just messed up over the holiday weekend and went to far this time....just trying to get out now...I just called the school they said email all my professors...what do I tell them?? Ugh..anyway, that's what I am, an older return to school student....
I'm about the same age as you too MN. I had a similar scare the first time I quit. I had been drinking very heavy and then quit cold turkey ( stupid, stupid stupid ) and had what I thought was a seizure coming on...so I had a friend from work take me to the ER. They gave me some stuff to help and everything was good from there on out seizure wise. It cost me a couple hundred bucks for my co-pay, but it was well more than worth it. I also come from a family of heavy drinkers that don't quite understand why I am not drinking, but they do accept it now - don't be afraid to talk with them about it.

Bottom line though, be safe my friend. Money and pride can be regained...your life cannot.
Old 09-11-2013, 08:43 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
None of this changes the fact that you just had a seizure, or at least you think you did. Cleaning the house and taking a shower won't prevent another one from occurring. At the very least you absolutely have to let someone know what is going on if you live alone so they can monitor you and get you to the hospital ASAP if something should happen - it's only been just over 2 hours since the incident. I'd still recommend seeing a doctor as soon as you possibly can.
Scott maybe you are right and it wasn't a seizure as well...I woke up feeling like I need to get sick so tried to walk to the bathroom and became very light headed so went down on my hands and knees to make it to the toilet, in the hallway I just remember like looking down at myself and praying but can't really tell you what happened but when I came to I had rug burns on my arms so know I was thrashing around....I called a clinic and told them the situation, they are calling me back to see if I can get in today...,.Thanks again all for your info and support, I do feel a lot better tho....but have to confess, had a few shots left and that helped as it always does....
Old 09-11-2013, 08:46 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Scott maybe you are right and it wasn't a seizure as well...
Or maybe it was... Fact is that you don't know and your life might be in danger.

Given your description, even if it wasn't a seizure, whatever it was, was severe enough to immediately call an ambulance.
Old 09-11-2013, 08:55 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Thanks again all for your info and support, I do feel a lot better tho....but have to confess, had a few shots left and that helped as it always does....
Keep in mind that whether you had a seizure or not, whatever happened was most likely part of withdrawal. Drinking again of course postpones withdrawal. And subsequent withdrawals can increase in intensity/severity. I understand you are seeing a doc today, which is great. You need to be absolutely 100% honest with him/her about what happened this morning and also about your drinking - including what you drank today. If your withdrawal was that bad this morning, the next one could be much worse.
Old 09-11-2013, 08:59 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

I will...thank you for taking the time...appreciate it
Old 09-11-2013, 09:02 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  
AA member

Please seek medical help.

There are a lot of members of SR who are medically trained,we never give out medical advice,it is against the rules.
Old 09-11-2013, 09:04 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

You ok pal?
Old 09-11-2013, 09:05 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

I am waiting for a call back, they said call 911 if symptoms come back, my phone is right by me.....to be honest, they don't seem to worried but I have called the ER and now a medical clinic ( which is not as expensive to get in today) I am doing everything all of you are telling me to do...
Old 09-11-2013, 09:13 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I am waiting for a call back, they said call 911 if symptoms come back, my phone is right by me.....to be honest, they don't seem to worried but I have called the ER and now a medical clinic ( which is not as expensive to get in today) I am doing everything all of you are telling me to do...
Make sure you tell the doctors you drank again this morning after the incident...that will definitely affect how they diagnose. If the symptoms were indeed brought on by withdrawals, you've merely postponed them for a short time by drinking the shots.
Old 09-11-2013, 09:38 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Zoe, the US is different. We don't have socialized medicine here yet. Course we pay a buttload less taxes too.
Old 09-11-2013, 09:43 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Call an ambulance immediately! You can die from alcohol withdrawal.
Old 09-11-2013, 09:44 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ZoeM View Post
Yeah and what happens in an emergency think I prefer our system ..(wanna bollock me for being a brit - bring it on)
I think there's pro's and cons to both ways, actually. Services are still available to those who can't pay here. I'm not sure if I could bollock you if I wanted to, don't know what that means.
Old 09-11-2013, 10:10 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

From being in rehab and in the rooms of AA I have learned that withdrawing from alcohol can kill you or worse. I will share a story, my sponsor has a brother who drank heavily he celebrated 30 days by drinking and ended up having several alcoholic seizures after that day. He remained a vegetable for months and miraculously made it out of that vegetative state but is in a nursing home where he will have to be cared for by other people for the rest of his life.

I would highly suggest you go through supervised detox. They supply medication to prevent seizures. You could still be in danger of having another one.

Best of luck and I hope everything works out. Not trying to scare you but I just have heard of people dying from trying to do this on their own.
Old 09-11-2013, 10:19 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

mn... did you hear back from the doc/clinic yet? i know nothing about seizures in any context, but i'm worried for you, and can only echo the previous posts that you seek health care right away.
Old 09-11-2013, 02:14 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Hope you're okay MN, thinking of you
Old 09-11-2013, 02:23 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Thinking of you too!
Old 09-11-2013, 02:24 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

I hope you are ok MN. This is a good example of how overpowering our addiction can be.
Old 09-11-2013, 02:45 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  
Day tripper

I hope you're okay, too, MN.
Old 09-11-2013, 04:47 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Just read through this thread. I hope you're alright MN.
Old 09-11-2013, 04:54 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  
OX

SR has the best folks. Impressed with the concern here. SR has been so good for me.
Thanks.

MN! Thinking of you too. Hope all is well