Notices

Alcohol and depression

Old 09-11-2013, 11:56 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

I know that since I've been sober that if I don't get a good nights sleep it can actually mirror how I used to feel being hungover. Cobwebs and all.
Old 09-11-2013, 12:30 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Ok just taught class and wondering why I dread it beforehand when it is really not that bad. I found a doctor and set up an appointment. Going to a meeting later. Sorry Nuudawn for wearing you out with my negativity--I come from depression and alcoholism on both sides, and the side effects of anti depressants for my family were suicide attempts and one completed suicide.
Old 09-11-2013, 07:07 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by alphaomega View Post
I have found that every SINGLE time I try to quit - about. 10 different times - I feel great fit the first few weeks. Then, slowly, I start to feel worse and worse and worse until I wind up not being able to stay in my skin. So I drink
i can relate. tight now i am 16 days sober, i can't wait to come home from work, go upstairs, and go to bed (it's 7pm!), don't want to converse, have no feelings, don't want to engage ... just flatline, tempered responses to life.

stinks.
Old 09-11-2013, 07:22 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by happyhour View Post
i can relate. tight now i am 16 days sober, i can't wait to come home from work, go upstairs, and go to bed (it's 7pm!), don't want to converse, have no feelings, don't want to engage ... just flatline, tempered responses to life.

stinks.

I think it is a sign of progress, our bodies are working hard at rebuilding broken
circuits. I wish doctors and recovery books talked more about it because I think that if we newcomers could anticipate that we would feel blah for a while, it might help more people to stay with it.

I am not going back to my old ways, I figure healthy blahness still beats unhealthy hangovers with booze en route. The direction I was headed.....I didn't stand a chance.
Old 09-11-2013, 10:25 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Acheleus View Post
Ok just taught class and wondering why I dread it beforehand when it is really not that bad. I found a doctor and set up an appointment. Going to a meeting later. Sorry Nuudawn for wearing you out with my negativity--I come from depression and alcoholism on both sides, and the side effects of anti depressants for my family were suicide attempts and one completed suicide.
Acheleus...I'm not going anywhere. Lotta depression, negativity and addiction in my family too. I feel defeated..because I do care and I do understand. I just know nothing changed for me until I realized that I had to befriend myself and be my own hero. I been working my butt off a long time to fix my messy and self abusive mind...unfortunately I drank through most of my efforts..so no change occurred.

Keep on keepin' on.
Old 09-12-2013, 12:14 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Came home today and went right to sleep I was so tired. I did eat some healthy food beforehand and the rest was good. I have a doctors appointment in the morning and then a meeting with a teacher, but then I have the day off. I'm not counting days but I think I have almost two weeks without drinking. I think I am in late stage alcoholism because my hangovers from binges now go on for days and the panic and terror keep me scared as hell for hours on end. I think of cancer and liver failure and other stuff. Today I feel back to normal, and I hope that everyone can feel their depression lift when they quit drinking. Tonight I am going to try to sleep and if I can't I will read or play a game or something.

Today in my class a fellow colleague mentioned that he drinks three or four beers when he has grading and stuff to do...I thought wtf? I always drank out at bars and binged, never at home and never when I had stuff to do for other people or work. I just cannot relate to drinking and doing work, so I kind of felt uncomfortable and do not want to associate with him any longer. So I don't know, I just feel like so many people around me drink, but I know I have to work on finding a sober network, and I am starting to do that with AA. Also I am going to find some kind of zen buddhist place to attend for meditation, thought that might be a good thing for me to do. My depression does not feel as intense when I don't drink, but I will let the doctor know in the morning about my reaction to anti-depressants and what my options are. Doing things for myself that are positive is really important, and I love myself when I stay sober and do not smoke, but when I do either of those things I become angry at myself. So alone time doing productive, healthy things is what I am going to focus on. It's good to know other people experience alcoholism and depression.
Old 09-12-2013, 01:00 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LadyBlue0527 View Post
I know that since I've been sober that if I don't get a good nights sleep it can actually mirror how I used to feel being hungover. Cobwebs and all.
Iam totally the opposite , being sober and having very bad nights sleep I can mange totally fine , nothing like my dark days of being brutally hungover after a couple of hours boozed sleep.
Old 09-14-2013, 12:48 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  
lillyknitting

Originally Posted by DarkDays View Post
Iam totally the opposite , being sober and having very bad nights sleep I can mange totally fine , nothing like my dark days of being brutally hungover after a couple of hours boozed sleep.
Sometimes, in my quiet moments,I try and remember my hangovers!!! Omg. How did I ever live through that hell? The utter pain, excruciating guilt, shame, paranoia. I honestly never ever ever want that life back. An to think, I actually paid to feel like that, I used to think it was fun, a good time girl, party on! Oh how we are deceived by the hideous drug.