Notices

On vacation, finding it a little tough

Old 09-16-2013, 10:48 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

+1 on naps!!!
Old 09-16-2013, 10:53 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone. I am very proud of myself. I'm glad I came back today and checked in. I was starting to feel a bit boring and left out and your replies make me feel proud of myself and strong.

I don't drink coffee so that won't work and I'm a real morning person, so I wake up really early and energized, which is great, until the night time! Ill try the naps but I hate the thought of 'wasting' time sleeping during the day.

I really appreciate your replies, thanks everyone.
Old 09-19-2013, 12:37 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Hey all. Still going well but had a bit of a hiccup this morning. I asked a friend to bring me an orange juice during breakfast and they accidentally brought me a mimosa. I didn't know so I took a sip, which was just horrible. I felt the burn going down my throat.

Now I feel crappy. I didn't drink it and just got up and got another oj but I feel like I'm after starting again somehow.
Old 09-19-2013, 12:42 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

no no no ,accidental ingestion does not put you back to day 1. put that thought out of your head.

You're doing great. If you need to sleep,slee.Listen to your body and enjoy the rest of your holiday
Old 09-19-2013, 12:43 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

A firm talking to? I think not!

You deserve this

for coming here and posting! Enjoy your vacation, you know how it all plays out already when you veer from the path.

I think that's awesome that you came here to discuss
Old 09-19-2013, 01:07 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Tell Mr Beast to **** off - you're on holiday!
Old 09-19-2013, 01:20 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think beating yourself up over an accident is probably counter productive Badga

Take the lessons offered (remember where you are, and don't take any drinks you're offered for granted...be vigilant)

keep moving forward

D
Old 09-19-2013, 01:33 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I also went to an incredible all inclusive (when trying to quit for the millionth time). The rooms were so gorgeous, and each had a full bar, with every kind of alcohol! Well, I relapsed. What happened?

I turned what could have been a beautiful vacation into a nightmare. All of the amazing excursions were wasted (literally and figuratively). I was sick and miserable, and every single dollar that we spent to go there was worthless. The beautiful beaches? To drunk to enjoy. The fabulous food? Too sick to eat. The romance I could have shared with my husband? Yeah, right. The sites I will probably never get to see again? Unseen. And all because I decided that I COULD HAVE JUST ONE, TO RELAX AND HELP ME ENJOY MY VACATION!

Needless to say, I didn't enjoy it, not one bit. All I have to look back on is regret. Don't drink. Please...and thank me later (I wear a medium, like pink and green, love flowers).

Have fun!
Old 09-19-2013, 02:11 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Wow, I admire you so much for being able to go on a cruise or fabulous trip without drinking. That would be impossible for me, at least in early sobriety. My triggers are all emotional and travel to exotic places involves so many emotions that I have always drank on trips like that. The scenery, experiences, and intensity are all too much for me. Business and family trips aren't a problem though. Needless to say, I'll be avoiding any of those exotic trips for the next year or two lol...
Old 09-19-2013, 03:55 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
w2r

Good going with your self control!
I've been to many all inclusives. I cancelled one for next week as I don't want to be tempted at this point.

You are not missing anything by going to bed at 10. By then most people are intoxicated, and really don't remember any conversations the next day. The alcohol has pretty much shut down their brains and they are really only drinking machines at that point.

I agree with everyone that enjoying the mornings is the way to go!
Old 09-19-2013, 05:24 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Fdm

Good thread. I'll use it for reference if the wife drags me back to the beach next year.
Old 09-20-2013, 07:53 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Thanks so much everyone. I am delighted that some people are taking strength from this thread and everyone's excellent advice that was shared.

I definitely have had the odd 'ah just have the one' but happily I have been able to keep a clear head and think to myself, I can't just have one! When I have one, that 'one' alters my mind as alcohol is a mind altering drug. So the second one inevitably follows because I'm already not myself.

When I look at it logically like that, it's easy to not even consider one. Plus a little trick I have is comparing alcohol to heroin (both mind altering drugs) and then it's even easier.

Plus I'm reading good straight talking books by the likes of Jason vale. It's great. I'll remember every bit of this holiday thankfully and look back with pride in myself.

I really appreciate everyone's support