Notices

Just when I thought I could see my way out of the woods....

Old 09-10-2013, 04:30 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Just when I thought I could see my way out of the woods....

Don't worry, this has a good ending.

I have felt so much better the past week or so (today began my 9th day sober). No alcohol, less anxiety, feeling like I am healing a bit. Appreciating a place to check in, learn from others, post my thoughts.

This afternoon, an issue at work. Whoops, again I'm not perfect (professionally... or otherwise, ha ha). My anxiety ramped up, the stress of whether I could have done something differently or better. As a small business owner who consults and solves problems for a living, what I sell is basically myself. My position is no more or less important than anyone else's, but if I make a mistake, it could cost me what I've built. I'm not trying to sound dramatic, by the way.

So, no surprise, but in the past, this would have led to a trip to the liquor store or rooting through the stash. And for a bit today, I considered the trip to the store.

But I didn't go. After having posted here on SR, I have a confessional of sorts. A record of some of what I have done, how I behaved, what I wanted to change. One drink today would have numbed me to me, but there would have been more to follow. And that would have led to my wife looking at me funny, my temper getting short, me waking up with stress and horrible tension tomorrow. And for whatever reason, I just drank about 6 glasses of water and ate most of a jar of salsa (w chips) because I knew I would be less tempted to drink while those things were in my system. In the end, the comfort and numbness of a drink (many) was not worth what it would have cost me.

So I'm still 8, going on 9.

I'm not Mr. Sunshine, and work won't go away, but I'll be better prepared to deal tomorrow.

Thank you, SR, for being there. Digitally, I mean.
Old 09-10-2013, 04:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yay, for you for getting through that!

I know for sure, that getting through something like that, will make easier for you the next time. That's how it works and that's how we recover.
Old 09-10-2013, 04:43 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Every time you resist the urge to drink you become stronger. Eventually it won't tempt you at all.
Old 09-10-2013, 05:55 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It's great to read a story of someone who resisted temptation. Sometimes I feel so strongly about never wanting to drink again, and then I just feel like maybe I don't really care any more. I don't want
Old 09-10-2013, 05:56 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Good job there, you identified the feeling and took reasonable steps (filling your stomach with food & water) to sidetrack the urge. That is how it is done!

Old 09-10-2013, 05:56 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

To feel that way. It just takes over sometimes.
I didn't mean to post earlier before I was finished typing....
Old 09-10-2013, 06:01 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Phew, Tides - I'm so glad you made it through without caving.

You are so right - the comfort & numbness of a drink would not have been worth it. I wish it hadn't taken me decades to get that. It doesn't truly help us cope - that's a lie we've told ourselves for too long. Glad you handled it Tides.
Old 09-10-2013, 07:17 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
quat

Great post thank you

Hearing others get through temptations urges and the like is extremely helpful and inspiring

Fantastic as Anna said that is recovery
Old 09-10-2013, 09:36 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tides View Post
I just drank about 6 glasses of water and ate most of a jar of salsa (w chips) because I knew I would be less tempted to drink while those things were in my system.
Well done!

If the chips and salsa works for you, maybe make sure to always keep some on hand.