SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   How the hell do you get through day 3? (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/307105-how-hell-do-you-get-through-day-3-a.html)

longbeachone 09-10-2013 07:02 PM

The thing about day three for me was this...When I stopped drinking (I had my share of false starts too) it would usually be following a binge, or some other episode when I'd made an a** of myself. Day one and two were physically awful, withdrawal, hangover, but day three was turn the corner day. I'd start feeling well enough to drink again. Whatever I'd done to jumpstart my decision to quit had begun to fade into the background. "Maybe it wasn't that bad" I'd think. Just one glass of wine, and I'll feel better. Hah! The joke was on me, because I'd start my crazy alcoholic drinking, and be right back where I started. That's enough to make anyone depressed, frantic, ashamed.

When you can get past these early days, that's when perspective should start to kick in, and you'll realize that you are feeling like a human being again. You can do it!

Imabuleva 09-10-2013 07:11 PM

Don't drink, and you won't add to the problems with alcohol. Can't promise the problems will go away or you'll fix them, but I can promise if you don't drink, alcohol won't make them worse.

JaimeJaime 09-10-2013 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by longbeachone (Post 4173197)
The thing about day three for me was this...When I stopped drinking (I had my share of false starts too) it would usually be following a binge, or some other episode when I'd made an a** of myself. Day one and two were physically awful, withdrawal, hangover, but day three was turn the corner day. I'd start feeling well enough to drink again. Whatever I'd done to jumpstart my decision to quit had begun to fade into the background. "Maybe it wasn't that bad" I'd think. Just one glass of wine, and I'll feel better. Hah! The joke was on me, because I'd start my crazy alcoholic drinking, and be right back where I started. That's enough to make anyone depressed, frantic, ashamed.

When you can get past these early days, that's when perspective should start to kick in, and you'll realize that you are feeling like a human being again. You can do it!

Truly thank-you. This makes perfect sense to me right now.

JaimeJaime 09-10-2013 07:18 PM

I know the problems will still be there but at least i won't be the drunk girl. I find that I care less when I'm not drinking... in a good way

JaimeJaime 09-10-2013 07:27 PM

So now what? I feel like the definition of that song "Help I'm Alive". And the ceiling's looking pretty good too.

nettles 09-10-2013 07:30 PM

Renarde had great advice. Kill time however you can. Go to a movie, read a book, go for a walk, visit a museum. I do any of those things and turn in to bed early, just to get the day over with. It works.

foolsgold66 09-10-2013 07:32 PM

You can watch every video on Youtube. That will keep you busy for a while. :)

ZeldaFan 09-10-2013 07:33 PM

I'm so glad that when I came back to this threat I was able to read that you made it. Well done!! So proud of you :You_Rock_

JaimeJaime 09-10-2013 07:35 PM

We're in totally different time zones:) Yeah, I can read but I think I need human interaction more. I know it's the internet and all but it's comforting

JaimeJaime 09-10-2013 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by foolsgold66 (Post 4173264)
You can watch every video on Youtube. That will keep you busy for a while. :)

Any suggestions?

joygirl 09-10-2013 07:42 PM

Hey Jaime! You are doing so well. One thing I did was go outside and look up at the stars. Look how awesome it is, and you are part of that! it's beautiful, life can be beautiful again for you. Think of the fact that there are other people, at the same moment as you, looking up at those same stars and going through the same thing. you are so not alone. Take a deep breath, then another. Look for constellations. find the north star. Breathe.
This is one of my favorite and most helpful meditations to get through a rough night.
Big hug to you!

kadidee 09-10-2013 07:43 PM

Youtube suggestions:

X-factor worst auditions

jaynie04 09-10-2013 07:44 PM

Brooklyn is beautiful....can you go for a walk, it is so nice out tonight? Or would that be a trigger?

joygirl 09-10-2013 07:46 PM

Youtube- Watch smosh videos (if you are not easily offended). They are silly, inappropriate, and nonsensical. Laughing does a body good.

foolsgold66 09-10-2013 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by JaimeJaime (Post 4173281)
Any suggestions?

jaynie04 09-10-2013 07:47 PM

Google world's cutest kitten...there are tons of hysterical videos.

jaynie04 09-10-2013 07:48 PM

Read Diary of a Mad Cow thread on SR, she is a very gifted and funny writer. I would post link but due to the fact that I seem to be the child left behind I am useless on computers.

JaimeJaime 09-10-2013 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by joygirl (Post 4173289)
Hey Jaime! You are doing so well. One thing I did was go outside and look up at the stars. Look how awesome it is, and you are part of that! it's beautiful, life can be beautiful again for you. Think of the fact that there are other people, at the same moment as you, looking up at those same stars and going through the same thing. you are so not alone. Take a deep breath, then another. Look for constellations. find the north star. Breathe.
This is one of my favorite and most helpful meditations to get through a rough night.
Big hug to you!

This is really beautiful, I've had these experiences before and they were cathartic...sounds corny but it's true. Unfortunately there are no stars to be seen here in Brooklyn:(

Had to say it, take care

jaynie04 09-10-2013 07:49 PM

Watch Jimmel Kimmel/ Miss South Carolina.....I cry laughing.

nettles 09-10-2013 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by JaimeJaime (Post 4173281)
Any suggestions?

Henri, Chat Noir...cyst or zit popping...Barely Political...Trailer Made...the possibilities are endless.